Mystical TPS readings

lemppari

I decided to test the Micha method,adjusted the valves,opened up the air bleeds 1 full round,balanced the TB's at two thou and added the idle balancing with the bleeds. Then came the TPS setting. Hmmmm, strangely enough, the reading was 4.98 at idle. And I just couldn't get a higher reading, whatever I did with the TPS. Clockwise, anticlockwise, time and time again. After disengaging the meter wires and connecting them again, the TPS reading at idle shows 1.02! At WOT it shows the afore mentioned 5.0?!! When I disconnected the conrod and "choke" and adjusted the TPS to anything between 150 and 250 mV, the engine didn't like running at all???

The engine runs well with the TPS at 1.02, I checked the battery voltage for obvious faulty readings but that was OK. So, am I loosing my mind or am I loosing the TPS or what?

First of all read the book again. Your results strongly depend on what wires you connect to your meter. Of course.

Second check you meter. Is it a quality product or is it a 5 Euro box from your local DIY store?

Third - loose your mind, enjoy the day without it and try the same again tomorrow. New day, new luck.

Hubert

The engine runs well with the TPS at 1.02, I checked the battery voltage for obvious faulty readings but that was OK. So, am I loosing my mind or am I loosing the TPS or what?

Are you using the stock ECU or MyECU

The latter can be made to work with any TPS mV 1 Volt would be 1020/5 or 204 in the software

Perhaps your ECU has been set to work with 1 Volt.

I cut the wire and added spade connectors at the ECU so I could try offsetting it on the fly. It makes a convenient spot to connect a multimeter.

Are you using the stock ECU or MyECU

The latter can be made to work with any TPS mV 1 Volt would be 1020/5 or 204 in the software

Perhaps your ECU has been set to work with 1 Volt.

I cut the wire and added spade connectors at the ECU so I could try offsetting it on the fly. It makes a convenient spot to connect a multimeter.

I still have stock ECU, but worst of all, I still only have my stock brain! Several days of over 35 degrees centigrade have obviously been too much to cope with for a typical Finn, and the brain overcooked.

That 0.98 was VOLTS,which corresponds with .980 milliVolts, far too rich. Well, back to the coalmine, come next morning. That thing with where to put the dots was too much in the heat. I never was good with decimals, but I'm competent at decimating things!

This is a useless post by me but, thanks for the laugh guys! It has been the best I have had all day.

It is not to often that Hubert and I agree but in this case i concur.

This is a useless post by me but, thanks for the laugh guys! It has been the best I have had all day.

It is not to often that Hubert and I agree but in this case i concur.

Today, the ambient temp is 20 on the dot and I have put the dots in their rightful place. TPS reads .!532 V on idle and the engine just purrs. WOT reads 4.9ish.

Very glad to have made somebody's day, though. With my level of expertise, I'm looking forward to installing a myECU. New stories abound, for shure! :P

Very glad to have made somebody's day, though. With my level of expertise, I'm looking forward to installing a myECU. New stories abound, for shure! :P

That's good, I was wearing Cliff's patience pretty thin. I will be able to watch while someone else asks the stupid questions / makes stupid mistakes.

Mine's not perfect yet but reached the point where I have closed the lid & no longer take the stock with me as a backup, No going back now that's for sure.

Congratulations

CIMG1777small.jpg

That's good, I was wearing Cliff's patience pretty thin. I will be able to watch while someone else asks the stupid questions / makes stupid mistakes.

Mine's not perfect yet but reached the point where I have closed the lid & no longer take the stock with me as a backup, No going back now that's for sure.

Congratulations

Yep, and that is why I'm still wavering between the myECU and Tuneboy. With Tuneboy, I at least get started with the original map, that is, I can still ride!! Then again, if I wait a coupla months, it'll be snow and ice everywhere and I can start fiddling with the myECU safely inside in a garage, waiting for the next spring...

Yep, and that is why I'm still wavering between the myECU and Tuneboy. With Tuneboy, I at least get started with the original map, that is, I can still ride!! Then again, if I wait a coupla months, it'll be snow and ice everywhere and I can start fiddling with the myECU safely inside in a garage, waiting for the next spring...

I carried the original in the tool tray for a while, I had trouble with MyECU because I had left a resistor out,

I had a Power commander so I cut the wires off it and soldered it directly to the original ECU.

A couple of resistors in place of the pressure sensor i removed works great

CIMG1699small.jpg

Hi Roy,

That ECU is mounted upside down and can be damaged by the seat base flexing and contacting the connector. I lost a stock ECU due to the PO of my bike mounting it like that. Flip it over so the connector is facing down.

Hi Roy,

That ECU is mounted upside down and can be damaged by the seat base flexing and contacting the connector. I lost a stock ECU due to the PO of my bike mounting it like that. Flip it over so the connector is facing down.

Oh, I never knew that, it's the way it was when I bought it. Makes sense though now I think of it, the wires do get crunched a bit.

Thanks for the heads-up

Roy

Early Sports were mounted connector up. And their seats are bad about mashing on the battery, cutting into the battery hold strap, and pushing on the relays.

I thought they flipped the ECU over in 2002 for better cooling. Come to think of it, cooling is probably better with the fins down . . .