headlamp

rossi46

Hi, I've been using the bike for work recently and as the morning are darker I thought that a better bulb was in order, when I replaced it this morning I noticed that the bulb connector was 'deformed' on one side as though it had melted. Bike starts and run fine( I've only done 2000mls)-the previous owner had the regulator replaced as it was faulty and fried the battery-could this have done it? cheers

DSC00910.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

That type of problem is the result of a poor connection. Any time you have this you should repair/replace the connector and or component . Kiwi Roy pointed this out with terminal repairs.

Yes- it's the result of a poor connection.

Good thing is you will be able to buy another connector with short leads in any auto store,

or an auto wrecker for that matter, just connect it to the existing wires with crimp links.

You may need to replace the lamp too if it's been arcing.

it's a simple matter of replacing the lamp connector.

thanks guys will replace soonest-is a ceramic holder a better option?

A ceramic holder would be ok but I think the regular plastic should be too, that's what I have in my after market and no problems.

Your old connector was loose, it melted around just one of the pins.

Notice the colour of the lamp pin compared to the one adjacent, looks like it might have been red hot.

BTW, no I don't think this caused the regulator problem, the headlight would be drawing less current with a bad connection, I

think it's very unlikely you would get a short there.

Replace the bulb and holder, you will be as good as new.

thanks guys will replace soonest-is a ceramic holder a better option?

A ceramic holder would be ok but I think the regular plastic should be too, that's what I have in my after market and no problems.

Your old connector was loose, it melted around just one of the pins.

Notice the colour of the lamp pin compared to the one adjacent, looks like it might have been red hot.

BTW, no I don't think this caused the regulator problem, the headlight would be drawing less current with a bad connection, I

think it's very unlikely you would get a short there.

Replace the bulb and holder, you will be as good as new.

Same problem on a 2000 v11s, Just bought a new plastic connector at auto store. Problem solved.