Frame number

Chet in MI

So, after 6 years with my 03 LeMans I still don't know where to find the frame number. I assume it's part of the VIN, but my VIN looks nothing like the frame numbers I've seen on the forum. For example, in an old post by Al Roethlisberger (sorry if I've butchered the spelling!) there was a range of frame numbers listed for bikes that had faulty return spring setups, shown as KT111435 - KS112350. My VIN is KTC00X3M111196 as shown on the fork and on my title. Anyone know why they're so different? Is the frame # completely different and hidden somewhere I haven't looked yet? :unsure:

Thanks!

I thought the entire VIN was pertinent in recall notices. Your "X3" is, I believe the code for "2003" and "M" is "made in Mandello.

Greg sees alot of these, so maybe he can straighten us out . . .

So, after 6 years with my 03 LeMans I still don't know where to find the frame number. I assume it's part of the VIN, but my VIN looks nothing like the frame numbers I've seen on the forum. For example, in an old post by Al Roethlisberger (sorry if I've butchered the spelling!) there was a range of frame numbers listed for bikes that had faulty return spring setups, shown as KT111435 - KS112350. My VIN is KTC00X3M111196 as shown on the fork and on my title. Anyone know why they're so different? Is the frame # completely different and hidden somewhere I haven't looked yet? :unsure:

Thanks!

Those #s you quoted from Al look like engine #s [which should match the VIN#s on the frame, but of course, the VIN has a lot more info encoded in it so you take the 1st 2 digits & the last 6 of the VIN & it should equal the engine #. Or at least, that's the theory...] Since I think that range is quoted in reverse [KS should come before KT], it appears your VIN falls in the affected range. [KS112350

As stated by Docc, checking w/ Greg @ MI is a good idea...

Thanks!

Those #s you quoted from Al look like engine #s [which should match the VIN#s on the frame, but of course, the VIN has a lot more info encoded in it so you take the 1st 2 digits & the last 6 of the VIN & it should equal the engine #. Or at least, that's the theory...] Since I think that range is quoted in reverse [KS should come before KT], it appears your VIN falls in the affected range. [KS112350

As stated by Docc, checking w/ Greg @ MI is a good idea...

Thanks guys! Very helpful! Why does it always seem so obvious in hindsight (or after you've posted the question)? :doh: