Highway pegs? Or I shoot this Goose!

RHIP

I made the mistake of test riding an Aprilia Tuono R, and can buy a new one at an incredible price. This is a superb bike, but if I get it, the V 11 has to go. I also love my Rosso Mandello, but my main problem is the footpeg location - too high. The bars are fine (my simian arms allow me to put out cigarettes without bending my knees). I have found that any ride more than 350 miles is torture (Don't start on the even-higher pegs on the Tuono: there are peg lowering kits readily available).

Looking at both sides of the bike, it seems that there are a number of locations with available bolt heads where I could mount a simple strap of flat metal, on which I could then bolt something like the salvage passenger pegs off of another bike (would be folding, not as wide as rider's pegs). The bolt on the right side of the transmission case looks like a perfect spot; the left side is more challenging. I would try to mount them a few inches ahead and maybe below the existing pegs. This would, in theory, allow me to retain the stock pegs and controls, but have another spot where I could locate my boots on those day-long drones, without having to affect the cornering clearance.

Has anyone out there tried something like this? If I can correct this ergonomic issue, the Aprilia can be forgotten.

Buell footpegs work well and are pretty cheap. I used them for a few years then bought the Motobits setup which I like better because it allowed me to adjust the brake and shifter positions to exactly where I like them. I couldn't get the shifter and brake pedal as low as I wanted with the Buell peg setup.

You can see the Motobits kit on my bike in this thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16192

:2c: That said, get the Tuono. Why have two V11s?

Tom, my poor poor writing is confusing this. The Rosso and V 11 are one and the same, so if I pop for the Tuono there is no longer a Guzzi in my life.

Thanks for the pics. A bit more searching on the forums has me narrowing the options down to the Motobits or the Motratech setup. The latter seems to move the pegs much farther forward than the Motobits. Anyone out there tried them both?

• 1 month later...

+1 for the Buell Ulysses pegs. A bit fiddly to install [ideally, you'll have access to a lathe as I did to make the split bushings so you don't have to mod the stock peg mounts, enabling a return to stock if so desired, future collectability, etc.], but everything can easily be done w/ hand tools if they're to be a permanent mod.

I ride cowboy style [ie, pegs under arch of boot] toes out [ie, shifter & brake pedal to the side of toe, not under it so you can't ride the brake unintentionally, or shift by hitting a pothole] so the Buell pegs suit me well. Love the fact that they actually provide a platform, vs. the near surfaceless (& frictionless) stock pegs. :thumbsup:

They're cheaper than any other alternative, and more limited in amount of change or adjustability, but they work great for me. :luigi: