Shifting

jorcalle

Hi,

I have a 2004 Le Mans with about 3300 miles. The bike is completely stock, no problems whatsoever, but recently I was returning home and the gearbox got stuck in first gear and wouldn't shift anymore. I have always been very gentle when in comes to shifting so I am very surprised that this actually happened.

I only do light maintenance so I will have to take the bike to the dealer for repair.

Anybody has a clue what the problem might be, the potential damage and costs involved? any help is greatly appreciated.

Probably a broken pawl spring - a common fault. You can find tons about it on this site if you search for it. it's only a cheap component (probably too cheap - maybe that's the problem?), but it does involve a certain amount of dismantling to replace it. I wouldn't have thought more than a couple of hours work topside though, so shouldn't be ridiculously expensive.

I have always been very gentle when in comes to shifting so I am very surprised that this actually happened.

I only do light maintenance so I will have to take the bike to the dealer for repair.

Yes sounds like the spring has gone. As for being gentle changing gear, Dont, be positive.