sports 1100i vs copa italia

2or4strokes

I forgot to mention that the V11 Sport has 1cm less trail in the triple tree too. Däs Mototec sells a kit to reduce the rake (expensive). They also sell a triple tree with less rake as well (also expensive). You can put a V11 Sport tripe tree on the Sport 1100i frame though and it will fit just find although the ignition lock stub has to be ground down to clear the V11 Sport triple tree. The fairing is most of the weight difference along with the steel tank. The V11 Sport transmission is actually heavier than the that of the Sport 1100i (extra gear and third shaft). I think the weight of the two bikes is actually not that much different but I no longer have the specifications in front of me. I guess I'll look them up later just out of curiosity.

Hi Carl

Thanks for the info . I'll try to do something on this bike if I can find the necessary parts to raise or lower the respective concerns but as mentioned it only runs on 160 rear tires and yet feels lazy as compared to V11 . Maybe to convert to a riased handle bar might solve all this . What do you think? Know of anyone who has done it here on the forum?

I forgot to mention that the V11 Sport has 1cm less trail in the triple tree too. Däs Mototec sells a kit to reduce the rake (expensive). They also sell a triple tree with less rake as well (also expensive). You can put a V11 Sport tripe tree on the Sport 1100i frame though and it will fit just find although the ignition lock stub has to be ground down to clear the V11 Sport triple tree. The fairing is most of the weight difference along with the steel tank. The V11 Sport transmission is actually heavier than the that of the Sport 1100i (extra gear and third shaft). I think the weight of the two bikes is actually not that much different but I no longer have the specifications in front of me. I guess I'll look them up later just out of curiosity.

Hi Carl

Thanks for the info . I'll try to do something on this bike if I can find the necessary parts to raise or lower the respective concerns but as mentioned it only runs on 160 rear tires and yet feels lazy as compared to V11 . Maybe to convert to a riased handle bar might solve all this . What do you think? Know of anyone who has done it here on the forum?

My Daytona, as mentioned, has been converted to standard full handlebars. It also has forks from a GSXR that are shorter by a good bit (I forget the number) but also have a different offset to complement the increased rake. Also, the front wheel is much lighter (also from a GSXR) and the fairing is removed. It is still a little long but it handles pretty close to the wifes V11. Since it is longer it will never be the same, but it is currently pretty close.

None of my bikes has a steering damper, I find that most Guzzi's don't need a damper and all it does is slow down the steering. Some people do not agree and some think V11's need a damper or they would not have come with one. I have a V11, a Daytona, and a Griso. The V11 and Daytona came with steering dampers. They both went bad and caused issues so they were removed. They both handles better in my opinion without them. The Griso did not come with one from the Factory. It works fine with out it.

To each their own.....

Hi Carl

My Daytona, as mentioned, has been converted to standard full handlebars. It also has forks from a GSXR that are shorter by a good bit (I forget the number) but also have a different offset to complement the increased rake. Also, the front wheel is much lighter (also from a GSXR) and the fairing is removed. It is still a little long but it handles pretty close to the wifes V11. Since it is longer it will never be the same, but it is currently pretty close.

None of my bikes has a steering damper, I find that most Guzzi's don't need a damper and all it does is slow down the steering. Some people do not agree and some think V11's need a damper or they would not have come with one. I have a V11, a Daytona, and a Griso. The V11 and Daytona came with steering dampers. They both went bad and caused issues so they were removed. They both handles better in my opinion without them. The Griso did not come with one from the Factory. It works fine with out it.

To each their own.....

Hello Guzzi moto

Interesting information. Just a question since you have a v11 and a daytona. How does the two engines comapre, 2 valves and four.

I have a centauro as well with a daytona engine( will creedon ship and full staintune) )and find that the V11 seems to be stronger on top end(it has a race ecu and pipes)although there is not much in it. They are both as strong on the low end. I read about the oil pump issues on this bike and has yours been changed?

My wifes V11 has a PCIII, lightly ported heads, free flowing air filter, and Guzzi branded Mistral slip ons.

It runs well (faster then my Griso) but the Daytona is at least a full step faster.

The Daytona has a chip, indiv. filters and full Staintune sys.

The Daytona has a long legged feel a builds speed deceptively fast. Suddenly you are going over 100. The V11 can keep up as long as the road is twisty, but on faster stretches the Daytona walks away. 85 rwhp vs. 100 or so for the Daytona.

The Daytona feels like a hot rod tractor.

The oil pump is still stock.

I think that if someone prefers sporty way of riding, doing track days from time to time, then the 1100 sport riding position is more "correct" for such a sporty riding style. The knees can be positioned in an inner way (tank is thinner) while the body leans forward.

The V11 puts the rider in a more upright position. The tank is wider, not letting the knees/legs to be kept closer and tighter to the bike.

So why alter the 1100 sport clipons with handlebars, since you can just enjoy a V11 with handlebars, in a more "relaxing" position?

• 2 weeks later...
....but the tire profile is something new to me.

What tyres are you on? Some tyres steer much quicker than others.

KB

Hi Baldini

I'm currerntly running Bridestone BT 16 (i'll let you know the profile in the morning)dual compound tires on me bike. It also has a full system termi exhuast and a creedon chip. Has anyone on the forum converted their sporti from clip ons to raised handlebars without the fairing. would love to see how it looked like.

Hi Baldini

Sorry it took so long to reply but I'm running a 60 series tire on the rear. I'll change to a 70 in future.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that if someone prefers sporty way of riding, doing track days from time to time, then the 1100 sport riding position is more "correct" for such a sporty riding style. The knees can be positioned in an inner way (tank is thinner) while the body leans forward.

The V11 puts the rider in a more upright position. The tank is wider, not letting the knees/legs to be kept closer and tighter to the bike.

So why alter the 1100 sport clipons with handlebars, since you can just enjoy a V11 with handlebars, in a more "relaxing" position?

Hi Dimitris

I wanted to convert the sports 1100i because firstly I'm older and the riding position is not so ideal for everyday usage. For trackdays and B roads,I have other bikes. Anyway I would like to use the bike more and thought a raised handlebar will be an added attraction.

I personally am a fan of converting to bars. It gives you more adjust-ability in the riding position and feel of the bike. Higher and /or wider bars can make a huge difference in the comfort and feel of the bike.

Obviously the Griso came with bars from the factory (I have finally bought some aftermarket bars to adjust the riding position). As mentioned, I have converted my Daytona to bars and it is great. It was a cool bike before, but I am older now and can't ride a bike that uncomfortable for very long. With the bars it is both more comfortable and easier to steer.

I have also done the same conversion to the wifes V11, with the same positive results.

The issues with the conversion come into play when you have a fairing and it limits how much of a change you can make. When I did the Daytona conversion I really wanted to keep the fairing but it just was not going to be possible to make the size change I wanted and keep the fairing. So the fairing sits in my spare bedroom. Sometimes it comes down to which is more important, form or function. I usually pick function.