I lost my only key... What do I do?

RichPugh

Its a 2000 V11 SPort. I just bought it 4 months ago with only one key and havent had a chance to make a copy. Welp, I've lost the only one I had. What to do? I called a dealership and they said they just order blanks and you can go copy it from the existing key... not an option. New ignition and key set?

Had the same situation happen years on my ST1100 and I think it cost about $100.00 bucks to have a locksmith come to me and cut a key.Fit ignition,seat locks,and luggage perfectly and still using key to this day. :drink:

Its a 2000 V11 SPort. I just bought it 4 months ago with only one key and havent had a chance to make a copy. Welp, I've lost the only one I had. What to do? I called a dealership and they said they just order blanks and you can go copy it from the existing key... not an option. New ignition and key set?

You should be able to unscrew the switch from the dash (two allen bolts if my memory serves me), hopefully you don't have the steering locked.

You could also unbolt the helmet lock or the seat release lock and take it to a locksmith (not hardware store) who can make you a new key. I think some can cut a key with just the number that's stamped on the lock.

The key blanks are not the sort of thing you will find at a hardware store but if you go to a Triumph dealer, they use the same one. I have a Triumph backup for mine.

BTW if you take the ignition switch off it's a good time to pull it apart and clean the contacts. The grease in the contacts goes hard after a few years and holds them apart making bad contact and erratic running.

I pulled the switch off mine but I can't recall for sure if the lock came off too. The seat release will come off easy for sure.

Hope this helps

Roy