New *Bling* Shipping Soon

ponti_33609

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice! That had to be a really tough shape to form. Huge kudos to the builder.

How are you going to finish it? Polish, paint, or both? Are you getting the aluminum fairing that's in that pic too?

Edit: :2c: Here's a paint/polish scheme that might work with your silver sport if you haven't decided on your finish yet:

moto-guzzi-racer-2.jpg

More pics at http://www.bikeexif.com/moto-guzzi-3

Nice! That had to be a really tough shape to form. Huge kudos to the builder.

How are you going to finish it? Polish, paint, or both? Are you getting the aluminum fairing that's in that pic too?

Edit: :2c: Here's a paint/polish scheme that might work with your silver sport if you haven't decided on your finish yet:

moto-guzzi-racer-2.jpg

More pics at http://www.bikeexif.com/moto-guzzi-3

Hi Tom,

At least initially I will keep it bare and polished until I decide what in the future I will do with my tail section and possibly paint both at the same time. I like the unmasked look though in the knee cutouts almost like the crome plating on the old Eldo's/Ambo's. No fairing either......my carbon one still looks good and will prob do a tail before a screen but will see.

FWIW John has been great to work with at the Tank Shop. I was aprehensive changing the style to something different as I did not want fit issues with my existing tail. he said he could/had made a replica so I went that route so I am hoping for a simple pull off and replace (I think I have used these words in the past :homer: )

I will post more after the holidays when I get her and install.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, out of interest how long did John take to do it?

He does great work but his timescales are sometimes a bit long (thats what happens when you are sought after I suppose)

I was not in a rush so time was not a factor for me. I ordered it in mid September..... so it took him about 12 weeks. Still not sure if I will ultimately have it painted except for the knee cut-outs but will probably just leave it as it is for a while.

Bob

Still not sure if I will ultimately have it painted except for the knee cut-outs but will probably just leave it as it is for a while.

I'd paint the top, only 'cause I dislike glare & there's lots of sunny days here in Lo-Cal So. Cal...

Looks fab tho'! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

And guess who received a call from John Williams/the Tank Shop yesterday evening? Yup, yours truly.

John will have my tank ready first week in March (give or take a couple of months.. :whistle:) so I'm looking forward to receiving my bling.

Have a nice weekend everyone :thumbsup:

Søren

I assume you can have these tanks anodized? Do you get your choice of filler caps?

Yes on caps............Monza, Aero or Screw caps offered.

You can anno aluminum but not sure how well theses would come out....maybe others will weigh in.

Bob

I assume you can have these tanks anodized? Do you get your choice of filler caps?

Yes on caps............Monza, Aero or Screw caps offered.

You can anno aluminum but not sure how well theses would come out....maybe others will weigh in.

Bob

AFAIK, all the wrought grades of aluminum anodize fine; it's the cast aluminums that may or may not play nice w/ cosmetic anodizing due to the variable alloy constituents. YMMV & all that; ask the builder what grade of wrought sheet he used to make it: all the common grades of aluminum sheet [3003, 5052, 6061] are reported to anodize from very well to nicely [in pretty much the same order.]

PS: Flash is the scourge of the interwebs... :oldgit: