rosso corsa vs. scura ride

jam

Well, I just found out today after telling my husband about your post, Skeeve, that this Scura has an Ed Milich modified steel Cali clutch. He said Ed put one in after the stock aluminum clutch grenaded in Jean-Mark's driveway (as you mentioned!!), right when Jean-Mark was finishing a ride.

Well, that's good to know! Glad your hubby dodged that bullet w/ his Scura: definitely not a concern anyone should be forced to have...

Mmmm, titanium would be a nice choice for the flywheel, if only it wasn't so danged ex$pen$ive... :luigi::nerd:

Yes, G, I'm the same as jami. I joined the forum awhile ago under jami, then forgot my password or something, and was having a hard time getting it all sorted out. So i just rejoined as jam. maybe not kosher, but seemed easiest at the time......

Well, too bad the hubby didn't dodge the bullet of wrecking the Scura on the track coupla years ago, which is why it's been out of commission for so long. Only injuries were to the bike. Time to get reacquainted.....

well after owning a Scura for some years now a few observations, tyre choice likes nice soft ones, steering damper worth removing makes slow speed handling much better. Suspension set up crucial far too soft out of box, although the previous owner of mine had it set up too hard. I ride to work on a very tight road, lots of curves handling superb but you have to be on top of it at all times, better riden hard in speeds in excess of the legal limit. Had an intresting ride this year with a well sorted Buell was surprised at his inability to keep up, not the rider he is quite mad. Likes high octane fuel, improves with miles, lighter flywheel which improves Guzzi's of all ages, my V7 sport is still better than the later bikes due mostly to the lighter flywheel. Fab brakes on Scura makes you braver!

Yes, G, I'm the same as jami. I joined the forum awhile ago under jami, then forgot my password or something, and was having a hard time getting it all sorted out. So i just rejoined as jam. maybe not kosher, but seemed easiest at the time......

Well, too bad the hubby didn't dodge the bullet of wrecking the Scura on the track coupla years ago, which is why it's been out of commission for so long. Only injuries were to the bike. Time to get reacquainted.....

Good to have you back. I wondered where you went.

Well, in the name of "research", we went out for a nice central California early-winter ride in the foothills: David on the Scura and me on the RC. weather was nippy, but the sky and scenery were gorgeous. Used my gerbings on and off.

There's a nice curvy section that we have ridden quite a bit, so today we rode it, then switched bikes and rode it again in the same direction. We both noted major differences. Yes, the ergos, which I hadn't really noticed the other day: I felt much more stretched out over the gas tank on the RC. Scura actually felt better applying some pressure/a little weight on the handlebars (a la going downhill); opposite of the RC, where I try to keep weight off the handlebars. Scura felt more secure when i just stayed on throttle, no matter what speed or rpms. Scura felt much more snub-nosed, but maybe that's just an optical illusion, coz of no fairing.

David said the RC felt more stable, the Scura more nervous. Scura probably needs to have suspension set up properly to give a fair chance. I do think it would take some seat time AND a very good rider to make the most of the Scura. I admire those of you who ride that bike well.

A few pix from today's ride.....

Dec2010155ride011.jpg

Dec2010155ride020.jpg

Dec2010155ride023.jpg

Dec2010155ride022.jpg

Dec2010155ride028.jpg

Dec2010155ride032.jpg

Dec2010155ride035.jpg

Dec2010155ride041.jpg

the Scura has a BUB setup (no crossover any more) and the RC has custom-made pipes (no crossover either). I think they both have K & N intakes now?

From what I recall of other comparisons both not having the crossover and adding K&N's will decrease midrange and boost peak horsepower (I've seen on the Centauro forum COG where the BUB's gave a peak gain of almost 3 Hp). It would be interesting to see a dyno comparison for your set-ups!

Jim

PS Love the pictures - beautiful countryside there!