a foggy day in Central California

jam

This wasn't a long trek, but it was a particularly enjoyable ride on one of my favorite goat roads, here in central California. Didn't see one other vehicle during the entire length of this little gem (about 20 miles) called Drum Valley Rd. Maybe not surprising considering the conditions, tho with my Gerbings plugged in, I was very comfortable. I think the RC was enjoying the ride as well....

drumvalleyinfog014.jpg

drumvalleyinfog020.jpg

drumvalleyinfog025.jpg

drumvalleyinfog028.jpg

drumvalleyinfog032.jpg

drumvalleyinfog035.jpg

Go ahead and rub it in! Most of the rest of us in america cant even get our bikes out of the garage because of the snow :bbblll: The closest I'll be able to get to a motorcycle is at the CycleWorld bike show at the end of the month in Cleveland. Well.... I could go sit on mine in the garage but thats no fun.

Looks great. Had first long ride of the year last weekend and it was fantastic . . . apart from the cross-winds which made it a little 'interesting' when the needle was buried in the higher end of the speedo. Blood pressure now back to normal.

I am off to California in the summer for a few weeks and would like to do some biking over there. What would you recommend - shades and a Harley or something quicker and find some twisty bits ? I arrive at LA airport end of July and that is about all the plans I have so far. Any good hire shops I should aim for ?

Many Thanks

Believe it or not, there's LOTS of great riding out here in California. You just have to survive the traffic long enough to get to it. :glare: Which can be difficult. GraeV11, if nothing else turns up, I've got my R90/6 up in LA (about 5 minutes south of LAX) that you could run around on. Just lemmee know. I'll be touring the Guzzi factory (OK, I'll be on my honeymoon in Belaggio and Croatia, but that's just a cover) but I'll be back in June.

Believe it or not, there's LOTS of great riding out here in California. You just have to survive the traffic long enough to get to it. :glare: Which can be difficult. GraeV11, if nothing else turns up, I've got my R90/6 up in LA (about 5 minutes south of LAX) that you could run around on. Just lemmee know. I'll be touring the Guzzi factory (OK, I'll be on my honeymoon in Belaggio and Croatia, but that's just a cover) but I'll be back in June.

Thanks, that is a really generous offer. I will let you know how I get on with the hire shops. I am going to sit down and plan a route - perhaps you would be kind enough to cast your eye over it when I am done ? I want to go to Vegas just to say I have been there and then maybe head North. I want to see as much as I can. I have been to the States several times before (I work for an American Company) but never California.

Very envious of your planned trip to Belaggio. I aim to take my Guzzi back to it's place of birth one day. Maybe in 2013. Look forward to the photos.

Thanks, that is a really generous offer. I will let you know how I get on with the hire shops. I am going to sit down and plan a route - perhaps you would be kind enough to cast your eye over it when I am done ? I want to go to Vegas just to say I have been there and then maybe head North. I want to see as much as I can. I have been to the States several times before (I work for an American Company) but never California.

Very envious of your planned trip to Belaggio. I aim to take my Guzzi back to it's place of birth one day. Maybe in 2013. Look forward to the photos.

Consider it done, on all counts.

Thanks all, for your commments.

Felix is totally right - there is a BUNCH of great riding here in CA. Also true that the hardest part is getting outta LA to get to it. Crowded freeways for miles and miles.... but once you escape....

So, depends on what kind of riding you want to do, to answer the question Harley vs sport-tourer, etc... If you think you'll just be slabbing mostly, then I suppose some type of cruiser for comfort could be justified..... haha!! But it would be a crying shame not to hit up the superb sportbike/sporttouring roads we have. I live 3 hours north of LA, at the western base of the Sierra Nevada, which mean lots of twisties just to the east. There is also heavenly sportriding in the whole northern part of the state, north of San Francisco. How much time will you have to ride?

A tip: it will be hotter 'n hell in July/August, going to Las Vegas from LA. Central Cali is also very hot, unless you go up in the mountains. Northern CA - less hot in general. California coast: not hot, but trafficky in the summer, tho beautiful, scenic, and twisty riding along the coast.

I'd also be more than happy to suggest routes, etc as you know more details. I'm pretty familiar with most of central Cali and northern CA.

I don't know rental shops, but Todd Eagan, the guzzi guru in LA, might be able to help you with a moto hire. If nothing else, I'm sure you'd enjoy making contact with him. he's at todd@guzzitech.com

Happy to help in any way possible. Just let us know....

Cheers!!

Consider it done, on all counts.

Jam. After 20 years in Exeter and Visalia, pictures of te fog bring back powerful and mixed memories. Had lunch with JJ and Guido today, looks like we'll be joining you in early April. Reacquaint myself with the County roads (aka goat trails) of my youth. J21 (Dry Creek), J37, Drum Valley and etc.

Looking forward to it. Dennis

The roads will be hot that time of year out to Vegas for sure. If you are thinking of going north from there, find something with tall gearing and good power... :whistle: There's a whole lot of straight, open road through central Nevada. If you've got the time, there's great riding all the way up the eastern sierras and into northern California, while avoiding some of the traffic of the big tourist spots. nevada1.jpg

norcal4small.jpg