Idle adjustment on Le Mans

Splicer

I have an '04 Nero Corsa with K&N pod filters and a PCIII USB, just purchased. I had Munroe Motors here in SF do a presale inspection and they reported that the battery was a little weak and that the idle was a little low—probably that these two things were related. They recommended that at some point we up the idle speed by 100 rpm.

I got to thinking tonight (dangerous activity) and it would be great if I could learn to do that myself. I've done a bit of googling and searching here and this is what I think I've gleaned. Please correct me if I've misunderstood.

A bike with EFI like mine doesn't have an idle adjustment screw like a carburated bike would, so idle adjustment would be done either through factory software or, since there is one on the bike, the Power Commander.

If that's actually correct, then the thing for me to do is install the software to my laptop and make an adjustment to the map?

If that's correct, then I'll get to learning about the PCIII so that I can ask some semiintelligent questions about changing the map before actually doing anything.

If any of the above is wrong, I'd really love it if someone would steer me in the right direction so I can start asking the right questions. My approach to learning motorcycle maintenance is: let the professionals do most of it and learn slowly, one thing at a time. This seems like a good "thing" to learn, though if it's all software I'm not really addressing my lack of mechanical knowledge, am I?

I have an '04 Nero Corsa with K&N pod filters and a PCIII USB, just purchased. I had Munroe Motors here in SF do a presale inspection and they reported that the battery was a little weak and that the idle was a little low—probably that these two things were related. They recommended that at some point we up the idle speed by 100 rpm.

I got to thinking tonight (dangerous activity) and it would be great if I could learn to do that myself. I've done a bit of googling and searching here and this is what I think I've gleaned. Please correct me if I've misunderstood.

A bike with EFI like mine doesn't have an idle adjustment screw like a carburated bike would, so idle adjustment would be done either through factory software or, since there is one on the bike, the Power Commander.

If that's actually correct, then the thing for me to do is install the software to my laptop and make an adjustment to the map?

If that's correct, then I'll get to learning about the PCIII so that I can ask some semiintelligent questions about changing the map before actually doing anything.

If any of the above is wrong, I'd really love it if someone would steer me in the right direction so I can start asking the right questions. My approach to learning motorcycle maintenance is: let the professionals do most of it and learn slowly, one thing at a time. This seems like a good "thing" to learn, though if it's all software I'm not really addressing my lack of mechanical knowledge, am I?

Ok, No PCIII for me so factor that in with everything I will say.

There is an idle adjust screw. One on each side but most post I have read say only adjust the left. Regardless, when you adjust the idle screw you also change the TPS reading (degree). Should everything else be ok with the bike, valve adjustment etc, I simply open the 2 air bleed screws (equally) to get my idle bumped up a bit. I think manuals say 1/2 turn each from fully closed, but I find that mine need to be about 1 full turn open to have my RPM at ~1100-1150 RPM.

I bought a VDST (CD Software) that I hook up to my laptop so I can easily see the results of my messing around. I make sure the TPS reading is 3.6 first, if not I adjust the left idle. Once I have that I adjust the air bleed screws to get the idle where I want it.

I am sure others with PCIII's will weigh in and give you better information than I can give you. The VDST is more of a diagnostic tool and does not re-set anything for you but comes in handy if you do a lot of tweaking.

Congrats on your bike! Have you posted a pic of her yet?

Bob

The VDST is more of a diagnostic tool and does not re-set anything for you but comes in handy if you do a lot of tweaking.

the VDST can make one setting change and that is the idle trim, it's a rich / lean adjustment for idle.

If you have a sync tool like a Twinmax you should hook that up and try raising your idle w/the air bleed screws while keeping the two TB's balanced.

have you searched here for throttle body sync/balance and TPS set up? if you do you'll find more than you need to do it all yourself.

Oh yea, a good battery is very important to have w/these bikes.

The VDST is more of a diagnostic tool and does not re-set anything for you but comes in handy if you do a lot of tweaking.

the VDST can make one setting change and that is the idle trim, it's a rich / lean adjustment for idle.

If you have a sync tool like a Twinmax you should hook that up and try raising your idle w/the air bleed screws while keeping the two TB's balanced.

have you searched here for throttle body sync/balance and TPS set up? if you do you'll find more than you need to do it all yourself.

Oh yea, a good battery is very important to have w/these bikes.

Yes, I forgot that!

Bob

Not here because I'm afraid of using up the 200K I'm allowed, but I do have a couple pics up here: http://splicer.com/2011/01/19/taking-black-racer-remote-office

So... it sounds as though adjusting the idle is more complicated than I thought. I'm completely unfamiliar with both VDST and TwinMax. But thank you! You've given me leads for researching.

Not here because I'm afraid of using up the 200K I'm allowed, but I do have a couple pics up here: http://splicer.com/2011/01/19/taking-black-racer-remote-office

So... it sounds as though adjusting the idle is more complicated than I thought. I'm completely unfamiliar with both VDST and TwinMax. But thank you! You've given me leads for researching.

Nice looking bike, I notice that the air filter pods have been extended, I did that with my V11 Sport using the rubber pieces that connected to the original air box, it made the world of difference to the torque over just fixing the pods directly on the throttle body.

I believe the TwinMax is two vacuum gauges, heres a balance tool you can make yourself for a few dollars, more accurate than using two gauges but not as convenient.

Carb Sync Tool.pdf

Near the cylinder head you will see a 6mm screw, thats where it attaches, I hunted all over looking for barb fittings then I realized that 6mm grease nipples were perfect, you just have to remove the ball and spring by grinding a little off the back. You also need to hold the plastic tube on with a wire twist or ty-wrap or it falls off when hot. Use 30w engine oil and you don't need to apply a damper block, suck it out of the bottle, I made mine just long enough so I could stand it on the ground leaning on the seat.

Not here because I'm afraid of using up the 200K I'm allowed

That figure may be misleading. It says 200K for me too, but that is the maximum size for a single file. If I go to settings/attachments it says I'm using 10% of my 20 MB. On the other hand I'm not sure if this limit will change as you post more, stay longer, donate or something else. Maybe we should ask Jaap to clarify, I've never seen it explained.

Oh, and welcome btw, and congrats on your bike!

My :2c: ,

If you're happy with the way the bike runs now and you just want to crank up the idle by 100rpm or so go ahead and adjust it at the left throttle body and don't worry about the air screws, tps, idle trim, TB balance, etc. If you don't like the result you can put it back to where it was and then get into the whole FI setup if you want.