Aluminum eagle badges

docc

Fueling up yesterday, the small eagle badge on the top triple clamp fell off. I was amazed it hadn't jumped off on a lonely stretch of back road.

At home, I pulled at the badge on the swingarm side plate and it fell off in my hand! The adhesive appears to be a proprietary olive oil based foam.

I'm in the process of roughing the surfaces with 80 grit paper and using an epoxy to reattach.

Don't let yours get away!

SSCN0318.JPG

Fueling up yesterday, the small eagle badge on the top triple clamp fell off. I was amazed it hadn't jumped off on a lonely stretch of back road.

At home, I pulled at the badge on the swingarm side plate and it fell off in my hand! The adhesive appears to be a proprietary olive oil based foam.

I'm in the process of roughing the surfaces with 80 grit paper and using an epoxy to reattach.

The doublesided foam tape ["mounting tape" as it's called] does serve some purpose for isolation of stress, etc, altho' I think epoxy should be strong enough to prevent the badges from cracking [just so long as you never want to have to R&R them! :rolleyes: ]

If you foresee ever wanting to freshen them :luigi:, then maybe a mounting tape solution from 3M [Minnesota Mining & Machine] will do the trick w/o letting go at inopportune moments? :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads-up, i will check mine tonight

Update,

Sure enough, the one on my triple clamp was ready to let go. The foam had broken down

The two on the pork chops seem to be well stuck on.

Thanks Docc, I owe you one.

Two of mine came loose last weekend after washing mine with automotive wash solution.nothing toxic or abrasive.

one up near the triple clamps and one on the porkchop.similar project to resecure mine sat..second time that I've

washed mine since buying a 2000 model last fall. :luigi:

Skeeve's point is well taken: there is no going back from my approach. I cleaned all the adhesive off and roughed the backs of the aluminum badges with 80 grit paper, then scarred the side plates with the Dremel and affixed with high strength epoxy. Any repaint will have me masking the badges off.

I still can't believe the thing fell off in my hand at the fuel-up.:o

The previous owner kept the one off the triple clamp of my Rosso Mandello...he didn't want the bike, but apparently wanted a souvenir. There are none on the porkchops and no glue residue...of course, I've had the bike over 7 years and could not attest to it ever having emblems there in the first place. Any RMs out there have emblems on the porkchops? k

One of mine, on the pork chop is lost

Is it possible to get a replacement? And where?

Thanks

That last time that I bought one, it was $25.10 or thereabouts. You would do better to contact someone like guzzi reboot spares and check with them.

The previous owner kept the one off the triple clamp of my Rosso Mandello...he didn't want the bike, but apparently wanted a souvenir. There are none on the porkchops and no glue residue...of course, I've had the bike over 7 years and could not attest to it ever having emblems there in the first place. Any RMs out there have emblems on the porkchops? k

I have a Rosso Mandello and can say for sure that they didnt get the eagle badges at all. Not on the triple clamp or the pork chops. If the previous owner pulled an eagle badge of the triple clamp its likely that he was the one who bought it and put it there in the first place. I've always wanted those little badges but I could never justify spending $75 plus tax for three of those little things AND as we now know, they can and DO fall off.

Isn't it ironic that such shoddy adhesive is used to keep something that people like and want to have, i.e. the badges; and yet the impermeable glue from hell is used to affix the ugly tank stickers. Go figure.

I have a Rosso Mandello and can say for sure that they didnt get the eagle badges at all. Not on the triple clamp or the pork chops. If the previous owner pulled an eagle badge of the triple clamp its likely that he was the one who bought it and put it there in the first place. I've always wanted those little badges but I could never justify spending $75 plus tax for three of those little things AND as we now know, they can and DO fall off.

Same with mine ...

The badge on my alternator cover came off, not because the glue failed but the paint it was stuck onto flaked off!! :bbblll: . But the other 3 are solid, mind you my bike is not exposed to the glue melting summer temps that some of you may experience :whistle: anyway in the parts manual the no. Is 02517700, i then checked on the motomecca site and there part no. Is 01517700 for a stick on eagle badge 60x12mm for £12.30 :angry:

I have a Rosso Mandello and can say for sure that they didnt get the eagle badges at all. Not on the triple clamp or the pork chops.

Thanks, Richard. I am too cheap to buy them anyway...more concerned about my gas tank (other thread) at this point. k

The badge on my alternator cover came off, not because the glue failed but the paint it was stuck onto flaked off!! :bbblll: . But the other 3 are solid, mind you my bike is not exposed to the glue melting summer temps that some of you may experience :whistle: anyway in the parts manual the no. Is 02517700, i then checked on the motomecca site and there part no. Is 01517700 for a stick on eagle badge 60x12mm for £12.30 :angry:

Oh no! I forgot about that one!:o