Original Battery?

Buzzard

I have just recently replaced the battery in my 2002 LeMans. This is the battery that came out. Did Guzzi dealers sell these in the USA, or is this the original?

When I replaced my Spark in my 2001 the dealer said it was the original

The first Yuasa lasted

Roy

Have the odyssey. It is probably going on 18-24 months old. Made mistake of not leaving it on charger while stored and it went flat. It has charged back up and seems to carry bike okay, but I now have the Guzzi flickering batt light, so not sure how long it will last. k

I am impressed with the original battery, about nine years of service. It would still hold a charge and start the bike, but the addition of heated hand grips brought out it's weakness. It was sucking up way too much amperage, turning it to heat I suppose. Using a digital volt meter, it held 12.7v resting. Start the bike up, and voltage would fluctuate wildly, getting to 14.2 at rather high rpm. Turn on the heated grips, and max voltage was 13.2v. I bought an inexpensive AGM battery offered on eBay, Leoch brand, from Gruberpowerservices, never heard of it, but $40 delivered. It was delivered fully charged, I still topped it off with the Battery Tender. While changing batteries, I added several grounding leads. The most needed was to the ECU. It is mounted in rubber feet with thread inserts, the mounting bolts do not ground it. The tiny ground strap provided was loose and corroded. I supplemented that, as well as adding a 12ga wire from the neg terminal to the engine block, thinking that it would compliment the added grounds from my voltage reg/rectifier to engine block. With the new battery and grounding, voltage comes up to 14.2v at 2000rpm, with or without the grip heaters on. Max voltage seems to be around 14.6, above 3000rpm. Lights are brighter, all systems are happy. I'll give this cheap battey a try, see how long it lasts. Interstate Batteries, as well as Batteries Plus, have AGM batteries at good prices. I have used both, in other bikes, with good results.