V11 Torque Arm

rossoandy

How many miles on the Guzzi when the U/J failed? Front or rear? Was it just noisy or worse?

Thanks for feedback!

Hi all. The uj first failed at around 10k, I found the play starting to develop during a routine check over and managed to find an automotive distributor who located a matching u/j. The old joint was held in by the traditional circlips and fairly easily removed and replaced. The new joint however had no grease nipple. The same joint has failed again (rear) and has covered around the same mileage despite no grease nipple. This time I failed to pick it up before the rollers had failed completly and unfortunately the housing is damaged,so its a new shaft this time! It is repairable by my machine shop but they very busy at moment so I will repair it at a later date as a spare unit.

I felt no unusual vibrations or other signs of failure.

Corsa Italiana in London said they never have changed one, yet they kept the shaft assembly in stock so I guess they have sold them before....

I would add the bevel box has now developed a little play on the input shaft bearing, despite a rebuild around 6k ago..I am going ot keep a close eye on that. Andy

I guess this is where the story about shaft alignment and importance of mid/shaft grease nipple comes in... Just wait till Pete spots it! ;-)

Any thougts on relevance of the torque arm bush condition on the RWB life expectancy?

Found the pinion nut although still locked in place tightened another 1/8turn easily which has removed the play on the pinion. I will reassemble and give the bike a run then recheck for play.

The torque arm and bush all fitted and seems good.

Just need to get to bottom of fuel pump inoperative....going to try a spare relay tmrw...although I pretty sure its not that....but at least it will eliminate it from investigation.