Lost a friend last week.

felix42o

Hey all,

Ed Lacruz, owner of Dyna Reno in Reno, Nevada, passed away last week. Not sure how many here knew of him or his shop, but he was a very knowledgeable guy and a friend to boot. I've had him overnight me parts on more than one occasion when I was out travelling with my Tenni, and have gotten hours of free advice and tech support over the phone from him. I've spent countless winter afternoons talking shop and drinking day-old coffee from styrofoam cups with him, and anyone else who happened to be there. He worked on all manner of vintage stuff, and his shop was an entertaining place to be, with parts of every bike imaginable in various stages of repair, in no real order scattered around the shop. I found out when a strange voice answered the phone (his son, I learned) and explained only that it was a surprise to everyone. For me, aside from losing a friend, I guess he was one of last shops in the area that wasn't a huge, sales-driven chain. Just a hole in the wall place run by a guy that loved racing and wrenching on vintage bikes. I guess this is bound to happen, but I highly encourage anyone who loves bikes to find these places while they're still around and spend as much time as possible there, because they won't be around forever.

-Brian

Tremendously sorry to hear this news. Things like this always hit home HARD.

I've found shops like his are the only kind I've ever frequented. Charactor, and personally delivered service, from a friend, trumps all else. That's why I love my local MG guy. If I couldn't ride, I would still drop in just for the "atmosphere" of a real m/c shop. Again, my condolences to his family, and the people in his life like yourself.

Thanks all, I'll pass the thoughts to the family. Another friend, who had Ed restoring his BMW R69/S there, went by to check on his bike and talk to the son. Turns out he had a sudden heart attack just a day or two after we last spoke. This stuff happens of course, but it's always a shock. Apparently the son and his wife will try to keep the shop going, which is great. They'll probably have to find someone who can do the real mechanical stuff, but I guess he's an electrician by trade and will try to help out where he can until they find someone. If I was only closer to retirement from the Navy I'd be knocking for a job myself. Six years to go, I'm afraid. Anyway, ride on, and thanks for the kind words. :mg:

Thanks all, I'll pass the thoughts to the family. Another friend, who had Ed restoring his BMW R69/S there, went by to check on his bike and talk to the son. Turns out he had a sudden heart attack just a day or two after we last spoke. This stuff happens of course, but it's always a shock. Apparently the son and his wife will try to keep the shop going, which is great. They'll probably have to find someone who can do the real mechanical stuff, but I guess he's an electrician by trade and will try to help out where he can until they find someone. If I was only closer to retirement from the Navy I'd be knocking for a job myself. Six years to go, I'm afraid. Anyway, ride on, and thanks for the kind words. :mg:

Oh, that's sad news. I've dropped in there at least 5 times in the last 10 yrs. Was last in there last October, chatted with him at least an hour, just chatting about everything. Super nice old fellow! He actually remembered me from when I bought a tank bag off him for my V11 in 2002!!

Thanks for telling me. I'll be thinking about him.

Steve

CODB is too much. Donelson's is a dealer in that they sell Moto Guzzi. They have a nice little museum there. I don't know how much a person can "bum around" ?

Last time I was by there was about a year ago- Donelsons had completely given up on Guzzi's. It's still an interesting place with a nice collection of historical bikes, and I like it for that reason....plus I like the old mechanic there- he's a traditionalist.

But the place isn't pro-Guzzi any more. It seems like an ok shop, but not what I was looking for.

My favorite shop is still Ned's Auto and Cycle in Riverside, Iowa. Talk about a traditional shop, that's the one. Nowhere near a city, housed in a sheet metal building that looks cobbled together from several smaller sheet metal buildings...probably because it was....and you wouldn't believe they have any business. In fact, they do a damn good business and the owner, Jim, is one of the most trustworthy and nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure to deal with. It's a hard act to follow when you move from that as your dealer to anywhere else. I was spoiled, and now I'm back to 'normal', which is, in effect, no dealer or mechanic at all. C'est la vie.