Le Mans Valve Adjustment - Necessary to Remove Fairing Panel?

SMDL

Hi, folks.

I'm getting ready to conduct my first valve adjustment since purchasing my '03 Le Mans, and have searched the forum, but wasn't able to find an answer to this question. Is it necesary to completely remove the fairing panel to access the valve cover bolts, or can this be accomplished by only removing the bolt above the valve cover? Unfortunately, I only have a V11 Sport manual, so nothing specific on the Le Mans.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shaun

You only have to remove the 8 bolts to take off the rocker covers, thats it, very easy on a guzzi.

Thanks, grossohc. Are you saying that it is possible to remove the valve cover bolts closest to the fuel tank without removing (or moving) the Le Mans fairing panel? The fairing extends back over the top of the cylinder on the Le Mans, and it doesn't look like it would be very easy/possible to get at these bolts without moving that part of the fairing?

Thanks,

Shaun

You only have to remove the 8 bolts to take off the rocker covers, thats it, very easy on a guzzi.

Thanks, grossohc. Are you saying that it is possible to remove the valve cover bolts closest to the fuel tank without removing (or moving) the Le Mans fairing panel? The fairing extends back over the top of the cylinder on the Le Mans, and it doesn't look like it would be very easy/possible to get at these bolts without moving that part of the fairing?

Thanks,

Shaun

Hi Shaun

I have done the valve adjustment on a le mans, if i remember correctly i just took off a bolt on the fairing so i could access the bolts easier by pushing that part of the fairing slightly out of the way. the allen key i used was fairly long and had that multi angle head on it. It was no harder to take the cover off than on my own bike (no fairing).

gary

Thanks,

Shaun

Hi Shaun

I have done the valve adjustment on a le mans, if i remember correctly i just took off a bolt on the fairing so i could access the bolts easier by pushing that part of the fairing slightly out of the way. the allen key i used was fairly long and had that multi angle head on it. It was no harder to take the cover off than on my own bike (no fairing).

gary

Yep. Remove the one allen bolt directly above the valve cover (the one that attaches to the fairing bracket on the head) and you can just kind of 'flex' the fairing out of the way enough to get at the top bolts. Go easy pulling the valve cover off, and you can usually save the gaskets. Sometimes they stick a little bit...

I don't know where you live. I use "Hylomar" sealant on one side of the valve cover gasket.This will keep the gasket from sticking in the future. If you ever start, you will use it from now on.

I don't know where you live. I use "Hylomar" sealant on one side of the valve cover gasket.This will keep the gasket from sticking in the future. If you ever start, you will use it from now on.

Good info -- I'll have a look for it, thanks.

Shaun

I always remove my fairing when pulling the rocker covers. It takes maybe 10 minutes. Here's what to do:

- unplug turn signals

- remove mirrors

- remove 2 screws above rocker covers

- remove 2 lowest side scoop screws

- remove 2 screws in front of turn signals

- straddle the front wheel and grab the bottom of the fairing, spread the sides slightly and back away

• 1 month later...

I always remove my fairing when pulling the rocker covers. It takes maybe 10 minutes. Here's what to do:

- unplug turn signals

- remove mirrors

- remove 2 screws above rocker covers

- remove 2 lowest side scoop screws

- remove 2 screws in front of turn signals

- straddle the front wheel and grab the bottom of the fairing, spread the sides slightly and back away

Hi, Tom.

Sorry -- just saw this now. This is great information, thanks!

Shaun