reassembing transmission

Banco

Hi all - I own a '04 Ballabio it has been a pleasure to ride - although not without the standard guzzi hicupps. Recently the pawl spring in the gearbox selector broke. So...

I am not very good mechanicaly but I thought that I would give things a go and replace pawl spring. I have done this and now reassembeld the selector, it looks as though it is all aligned and set up correctly and operates correctly.

My problem when the spring broke my ballabio was stuck in 2nd or 3rd, I could not shift it at all to find neutral so I took the selector assembly of with the gear box in gear. My plan was to select neutral by sliding the forks in the gearbox into position before reassembly. The major flaw in my plan is that i don't know where the forks should go! (I assumed that the position would be obvious or that there would be some alignment marks) How can I tell if the bike is in neutral or if it is in between gears?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

If it was me I would look on the end of the selector drum and note the position of the contact that switches the neutral indicator switch.

Alternatively, you can find first gear and rotate the selector back from that before second gear is engages. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Others may have a better suggestion according to experience or manual.

If it was me I would look on the end of the selector drum and note the position of the contact that switches the neutral indicator switch

Thanks NPS this was my intention but I am not sure what exactly I should be looking for. I have reassembled everything and it seems to be working changing gears while pushing the bike. But since I did this by trial and error I want to make sure everything is correct before starting the engine and really stuffing something up. The ballabio was off the road for about a month while I waited for the spring- found that hard enough to deal with so I don't want to risk any major damage.

The selector plate is on but not sealed there is no oil in the box so I can check. Any suggestions would help

Hi All,

I finally had the pawl spring go on my 02/03 Lemans at 83000klms.

I have had look at all the old posts but I can't seem to get any photos up it just says "picture posted".

Is this because the postings are so old?

If so does anyone have a few old the old posts saved with pictures.

It looks like a job for this weekend to pull the plate off and have a look inside. Measure the boss and see whether it is 16/15 mm and put the new spring on.

Thanks

Allan K

Hi All,

I finally had the pawl spring go on my 02/03 Lemans at 83000klms.

I have had look at all the old posts but I can't seem to get any photos up it just says "picture posted".

Is this because the postings are so old?

If so does anyone have a few old the old posts saved with pictures.

It looks like a job for this weekend to pull the plate off and have a look inside. Measure the boss and see whether it is 16/15 mm and put the new spring on.

Thanks

Allan K

There's a link to the pictures that BFG had with his excellent pawl spring replacement writeup here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16348