Fast idle question

Greybeard

I'm in the middle of changing the return spring on the fast idle cable.

As I was moving the lever and watching the action I noticed that the lever the cable moves which bears on the fast idle cam actually has to move quite some distance before touching the cam.

It's as if the rod joining two throttle bodies is being held to the left too far.

Would this indicate that the idle adjustment is incorrect on the left throttle body and that I need to re-adjust somewhere else?

I'm in the middle of changing the return spring on the fast idle cable.

As I was moving the lever and watching the action I noticed that the lever the cable moves which bears on the fast idle cam actually has to move quite some distance before touching the cam.

It's as if the rod joining two throttle bodies is being held to the left too far.

Would this indicate that the idle adjustment is incorrect on the left throttle body and that I need to re-adjust somewhere else?

Nope, but you can adjust the fast idle system so that it is closer. As long as you have clearence when the fast idle is fully off, no issues. If I recall I just removed cable slack, or was there an ecentric adjustment? (It has been to long since I had to tinker with the darn thing.) The rod between the TB's is for mechanially syncing the TB when off idle (white knob), the left TB has a set screw that is used to remove backlash in the TB's rod adjustment rod during closed throttle (when it transitions from compression to tension) while the right acts as the main throttle plate stop (idle speed). (Although there has been much debate about the methods to be used over the years. <_>

You remove the slack from the cable and loosen the jam screw from the cable stop (I guess thats what it's called) and take up the slack and tighten the screw just tight and leave some clearance so it is not the idle stop. Look at it and understand what is going on before you jump in.........

.... Carry on.

Try the screw marked green and make sure the bushing marked red hasn't come loose, too loose.bodies_below.png

hubert

Thanks, but everything is tight.

I changed the spring and it seems OK now.