Handlebar Side to Side

dshap13

Well, the handlebar side to side trick to get my 2003 v11 sport to start, has finally failed. I knew this was temporary, and that at some point, I'd have to locate the electrical issue. I read somewhere that a possible solution is to remove the tank, and locate two bullet connectors that you need to check and clean, which run down the right side (I think) of the frame. Does anyone have any pictures and/or diagrams of what these bullet connectors look like and where they may be found? Any help would be much appreciated, as I'm not very good with electrical diagnoses/issues. A few things to note....The fuel pump does prime, and clicking is heard from the relay, once the start button is pressed. Thanks in advance!

On my bike the connectors are on the left side beside the frame when tank is removed. Should just be a case of pushing them in and if you suspect they are loose give them alight crimp with pliers. If you trace the wires from the clutch switch/sidestand and neutral you should find them. Done it myself that long ago i can barely remember :oldgit:

Agreed. While you're at it, just check every connector you can get at. They used some pretty shoddy connectors at the factory.

Thanks guys...I had taken the tank off before and saw two connectors down the frame (didn't quite look like bullet connectors, looked more like a simple wire connectors), which looked tight as far as the connection went and sealed fairly well. I'll take another look to see what I can find.

I had a similar issue. The faulty connectors were on the left side as it was pointed out, under the black plastic cover that's attached with a screw to the frame in front of the tank between tank and handlebar.

I had a similar issue. The faulty connectors were on the left side as it was pointed out, under the black plastic cover that's attached with a screw to the frame in front of the tank between tank and handlebar.

Thanks for the additional info tmcafe....hadn't checked under the plastic for the connectors. Will do so this weekend.

Hi,

I actually just did this fix tonite. My connectors were hidden and tie wrapped to a large connector. If you are careful, you dont have to remove the tank from the bike. I lifted the tamk off and stuffed towels under the front and back to give mr some room to work. I did not unhook any of the fuel lines vent hoses or electrical connections.

See ya,

Clay

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the handlebar side to side trick to get my 2003 v11 sport to start, has finally failed. I knew this was temporary, and that at some point, I'd have to locate the electrical issue. I read somewhere that a possible solution is to remove the tank, and locate two bullet connectors that you need to check and clean, which run down the right side (I think) of the frame. Does anyone have any pictures and/or diagrams of what these bullet connectors look like and where they may be found? Any help would be much appreciated, as I'm not very good with electrical diagnoses/issues. A few things to note....The fuel pump does prime, and clicking is heard from the relay, once the start button is pressed. Thanks in advance!

I had the same issue with my '03 LeMans. Dealer traced the problem to a faulty clutch safety switch. Hope this helps.... :2c:

• 1 month later...

I too had this issue on my 2003 Rosso in the first few weeks off the show room floor, pulled the tank and bypassed the clutch switch, starts everytime since.

Mike

If you find it's not the connectors look for a spot in the wire that flexes a lot as you turn the bars. Copper work hardens and will eventually break. Any time you have wires at a flex point make sure the bending takes place over a length of wire, not at one point.