V11 Sport/Lemans clutch switch

Steve G.

I've decided to be pro-active and look for any possible electrical issues before a decent sized ride I'm doing next month. The two I've always read about on this forum which can prevent a button start up are 1] the side stand kill switch, and

2] the clutch switch.

I took the clutch switch off yesterday, and found the thing is essentially sealed, with no serviceable parts to fix, bond, or otherwise renew. I'm wanting to know if the fix to this thing is to simply permanantly join the two incoming wires, or am I missing something?

Steve

The clutch switch must engage for the starter solenoid to be energized. While the switch itself could fail, it is more common to loose contact at the two simple "bullet" connectors beside the frame under the tank on the left just behind the headset. They are certainly worth cleaning, crimping, and sealing.

The switch is activated by the clutch lever through a small hole and a little ball bearing, or perhaps a small plastic puck. Since that area is rather exposed to the weather, it is a good place to clean up, dry off, and maybe apply a little light lube.

Good maintenance!:luigi:

The clutch switch must engage for the starter solenoid to be energized. While the switch itself could fail, it is more common to loose contact at the two simple "bullet" connectors beside the frame under the tank on the left just behind the headset. They are certainly worth cleaning, crimping, and sealing.

The switch is activated by the clutch lever through a small hole and a little ball bearing, or perhaps a small plastic puck. Since that area is rather exposed to the weather, it is a good place to clean up, dry off, and maybe apply a little light lube.

Good maintenance!:luigi:

Good info, many thanks!!

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. New to the forum. Good stuff. Just yesterday, I noticed that my 02 Scura starts fine in neutral and idles fine when I engage the clutch but when I shift into first or second from neutral the engine immediately cuts off. It's like I'm hitting the kill switch. And yes, the stand is up. Prior to this happening, there was a increasingly loud rattle under the bike not distinct from the normal dry clutch noise. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the sidestand interlock switch has gone bad. Just bypass that switch and see if that does the trick.

I *think* there is a pair of connectors under the tank that you can just plug a wire with two bullet connectors into. No need to cut and splice. However, you would need to remove or lift the tank.

Not sure about your noise. Have you (or anyone) run the bike low on oil or done wheelies? Have you noticed the low oil light on hard acceleration? This is a worst case scenario, but under certain circumstances, the oil pump and main bearings can be starved for oil, leading to unpleasant results...and noises.

Hopefully, a fastener is loose....

I took the clutch switch off yesterday, and found the thing is essentially sealed, with no serviceable parts to fix, bond, or otherwise renew. I'm wanting to know if the fix to this thing is to simply permanantly join the two incoming wires, or am I missing something?

Steve

The clutch and front brake switches are a standard size, I am using one I picked up at Radio Shack, it had a little roller arm on it which I removed.

Better switches (waterproof)are made by "Cherry" available fron www.digikey.com part No CH290-ND $4.56 EA

The wire connections are different, just solder the wires on.

Digikey also have Omron relays Z2247-ND @ $4.59 EA to replace the stock ones

Roy

OOPs, they have gone up in price, but still cheap.

Hi guys. New to the forum. Good stuff. Just yesterday, I noticed that my 02 Scura starts fine in neutral and idles fine when I engage the clutch but when I shift into first or second from neutral the engine immediately cuts off. It's like I'm hitting the kill switch. And yes, the stand is up. Prior to this happening, there was a increasingly loud rattle under the bike not distinct from the normal dry clutch noise. Any thoughts?

Well,,,,,the Scura, like the Tenni, and the Rosso Mandello have the dreaded single plate clutch system with the scatter prone alumimium flywheel.

Steve