Curious cutoffs with PC III

lemppari

Ended up with a PC III after all. I connected it and took the RM for a testride and stumbled into a very strange behaviour. If I rolled the throttle wide open in first or second gear from 2K, the engine might cut off completely, only to start again when I rolled off the throttle. No such behaviour when on bigger gears, though. Nothing like that yesterday when still riding with the original ECU and stock map.

The bike has open Mistrals, stock x-over and modified airbox with the original filter. The TPS is adjusted at 520 mV and the valves 0.15 intake 0.2 exhaust. I've also been wondering about whether the Mistrals mentioned in the PC III map lists of the manifacturer are open or the more muffled ones?

Then there's the Acceleration Pump Enable function. Does it give one same kind of extra grunt that one gets with Dell'Ortos, or does it only enable a tuning centre to add such function?

As it is, I'm a bit afraid of riding the bike with the PC connected.

Ended up with a PC III after all. I connected it and took the RM for a testride and stumbled into a very strange behaviour. If I rolled the throttle wide open in first or second gear from 2K, the engine might cut off completely, only to start again when I rolled off the throttle. No such behaviour when on bigger gears, though. Nothing like that yesterday when still riding with the original ECU and stock map.

The bike has open Mistrals, stock x-over and modified airbox with the original filter. The TPS is adjusted at 520 mV and the valves 0.15 intake 0.2 exhaust. I've also been wondering about whether the Mistrals mentioned in the PC III map lists of the manifacturer are open or the more muffled ones?

Then there's the Acceleration Pump Enable function. Does it give one same kind of extra grunt that one gets with Dell'Ortos, or does it only enable a tuning centre to add such function?

As it is, I'm a bit afraid of riding the bike with the PC connected.

I doubt the PCIII is causing it...on my RM, it takes a pretty big change in the programming of the PCIII to see a big change in the bike. I do have the accel pump function activated. Try disconnecting the PCIII and riding your bike under the same circumstances. If you have an open top air box, it sounds like your under tank insulator may have come loose and is sucking down closing off your air flow.

I doubt the PCIII is causing it...on my RM, it takes a pretty big change in the programming of the PCIII to see a big change in the bike. I do have the accel pump function activated. Try disconnecting the PCIII and riding your bike under the same circumstances. If you have an open top air box, it sounds like your under tank insulator may have come loose and is sucking down closing off your air flow.

As I mentioned, the engine ran normally the day before and has never had such tantrums until installing the PC. Another possible cause that I've been pondering, would be that something is pressing the PC wire harness, possibly the saddle under my weight under hard acceleration.

That could be it too...if you've inadvertently pinched some wires or pushed a pin in the connectors. If you've disconnected the PCIII and all runs normally, I'd suspect something to do with the install immediately. If you disconnect and the problem still exists, then something else is causing it that "happened to you" coincident with the PCIII install.

I once loaded some new parameters in my PCIII as a step in my tuning procedure...during which I also reset my TPS--bad move--I gooned the TPS reset and spent days loading and reloading/changing the PCIII settings before having to admit (after disconnecting the PCIII) that there was another problem. Once TPS was set, everything settled in nicely. Just make sure your bike runs okay without the PCIII before going any further. :2c: k

That could be it too...if you've inadvertently pinched some wires or pushed a pin in the connectors. If you've disconnected the PCIII and all runs normally, I'd suspect something to do with the install immediately. If you disconnect and the problem still exists, then something else is causing it that "happened to you" coincident with the PCIII install.

I once loaded some new parameters in my PCIII as a step in my tuning procedure...during which I also reset my TPS--bad move--I gooned the TPS reset and spent days loading and reloading/changing the PCIII settings before having to admit (after disconnecting the PCIII) that there was another problem. Once TPS was set, everything settled in nicely. Just make sure your bike runs okay without the PCIII before going any further. :2c: k

OK, after disconnecting the PC III the engine has purred as flawlessly as it ever could before. No cutoffs, only problem being the flat spots which caused me to try the PC III in the first place! Next step is connecting the PC again but this time with the box in the tool tray instead of it being in the small cutout in the rear, hence the saddle probably pressing the wire harness.

I ended up putting mine in the tray as well. Do a visual check of all the connectors to be sure you do not have pushed pin (one that is pushed further back into the plug due to some small misalignment when plugging up). And, as you already mentioned, make sure none of your wires are pinched. Cheers. k