Replacing The Sachs Boge

Robo

I have seen a ton of threads on this forum where people are suggesting buying new Ohlins, Penskes or whatever to replace the crap stock shocks on their V11 Sport. On Ebay, or CL, etc. I see lots of piggy back shocks. Does anyone know what other bikes use the same size and specs shockas the one for our Guzzis? For instance, is our shock the same as the Ducati 998 or GSX-R or something like that? May just need a longer hose line or different size eyelets. I have been scouring all used bike shops and every site to find a replacement where I don't have to spend 1000$. Help please. I know someone has the answer.

Hey Robo

Can't help you directly with an answer but when you say piggy back shocks I'm assuming you mean shocks with an hydraulic reserviour.

On Monday I had my suspension professionally set-up by former 6 times British motocross champ Perry Leask who now sets up suspensions since 1999 for many racers including past champs:

John Barnett

2006 New Era sound of thunder champion

George Clemence

2006 Southern supermoto champion

Mark George

2005 British supermono champion

Mark Lawes

2nd place 2005 British supermono championship

Bruce Dunn

3rd place 2005 British supermono championship

John Barnett

2002 Bemsee Nationwide 600

supersport champion

Mark Lawes

2002 British and European

supermono champion

2003 AHRMA supermono winner

Daytona Raceway FL

Clinton Wood

2002 Bemsee Southern powerbike

and 1300 champion

I've pasted all that guff in so you can see the man knows a thing or two about suspension set-ups.

Now, while he was jiggery-pokering around with my Ohlins rear shock I asked him if I could get a hydraulic reserviour retro-fitted to make it easier to get to in adjusting. His comment was, 'Not really, because those units take up a little more of the spring length than those without and as there's not a whole lotta room for the length of the shock in total it would mean having a shorter spring than what is on it'. Or similar words to that effect.

So, draw your own conclusion on this, but I'm guessing if you wanna go down that route you'd better be looking for a very short-spring shock unit to fit into the space available, but is that a comprimise worth having? I'm lucky as my bike is already equipped with Ohlins all round but I pass this snippet on, for what it's worth...

A little off topic now, but my bikes handling has truly been transformed. S-S-W-E-E-E... E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-T as a nut! I did'nt pay the man to click 'em around a bit, anyone could do that - I paid him for his experience & knowledge! Best money I've spent so far...

He also took it out for a 15/20 minute ride to see how it was & when he came back he said he was surprised at how neutral & well it handled.

Got the feeling he does'nt get many/any V11's in!

I have seen a ton of threads on this forum where people are suggesting buying new Ohlins, Penskes or whatever to replace the crap stock shocks on their V11 Sport. On Ebay, or CL, etc. I see lots of piggy back shocks. Does anyone know what other bikes use the same size and specs shockas the one for our Guzzis? For instance, is our shock the same as the Ducati 998 or GSX-R or something like that? May just need a longer hose line or different size eyelets. I have been scouring all used bike shops and every site to find a replacement where I don't have to spend 1000$. Help please. I know someone has the answer.

One thing to be aware of in your search is that I'm pretty sure that the shaft drive joints limit the length of shock you can use so you must stay within the Ohlins specs(10mm longer than Sachs IIRC ?) for total length and range of movement.

good luck, I'm sure many here will be interested if you find a match !!

Thanks for that. Yes, the piggy back is the remote res shock - which is the stock Sachs Boge bleeding all over my rear end. I was talking about finding a temp solution to the problem since my budget is tight. Works Performance say they might be able to rebuild it for around $270. That's a pretty fair deal. But, I was specifically looking for a more reliable shock (japanese are more long lasting than the Sachs) that would fit my bike. I could use any decent shock that is a 284-286mm with a 64-70mm stroke. I am 210 lbs. and I often ride with a passenger, so I will need a stronger spring - maybe a 525 and then ratchet it up. I was just hoping someone would write me back and say "the sachs off a 998 Ducati has the same eyelet measurement or the new GSX-R uses a ___ that will work. Thanks though.

Hey Robo

Can't help you directly with an answer but when you say piggy back shocks I'm assuming you mean shocks with an hydraulic reserviour.

On Monday I had my suspension professionally set-up by former 6 times British motocross champ Perry Leask who now sets up suspensions since 1999 for many racers including past champs:

John Barnett

2006 New Era sound of thunder champion

George Clemence

2006 Southern supermoto champion

Mark George

2005 British supermono champion

Mark Lawes

2nd place 2005 British supermono championship

Bruce Dunn

3rd place 2005 British supermono championship

John Barnett

2002 Bemsee Nationwide 600

supersport champion

Mark Lawes

2002 British and European

supermono champion

2003 AHRMA supermono winner

Daytona Raceway FL

Clinton Wood

2002 Bemsee Southern powerbike

and 1300 champion

I've pasted all that guff in so you can see the man knows a thing or two about suspension set-ups.

Now, while he was jiggery-pokering around with my Ohlins rear shock I asked him if I could get a hydraulic reserviour retro-fitted to make it easier to get to in adjusting. His comment was, 'Not really, because those units take up a little more of the spring length than those without and as there's not a whole lotta room for the length of the shock in total it would mean having a shorter spring than what is on it'. Or similar words to that effect.

So, draw your own conclusion on this, but I'm guessing if you wanna go down that route you'd better be looking for a very short-spring shock unit to fit into the space available, but is that a comprimise worth having? I'm lucky as my bike is already equipped with Ohlins all round but I pass this snippet on, for what it's worth...

A little off topic now, but my bikes handling has truly been transformed. S-S-W-E-E-E... E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-T as a nut! I did'nt pay the man to click 'em around a bit, anyone could do that - I paid him for his experience & knowledge! Best money I've spent so far...

He also took it out for a 15/20 minute ride to see how it was & when he came back he said he was surprised at how neutral & well it handled.

Got the feeling he does'nt get many/any V11's in!

One thing to be aware of in your search is that I'm pretty sure that the shaft drive joints limit the length of shock you can use so you must stay within the Ohlins specs(10mm longer than Sachs IIRC ?) for total length and range of movement.

Ahh. I get you. Well, lets hope. I am going to a bike bone yard soon and look through their stuff. Just need something to tide me over until I can save enough for a great Ohlins.

Ahh. I get you. Well, lets hope. I am going to a bike bone yard soon and look through their stuff. Just need something to tide me over until I can save enough for a great Ohlins.

Try Reboot Guzzi spares for a used one. I've had good experience with them.