On/off switch for a clutch

crawsue

:bbblll: The clutch on my 2001 Rosso Mandello is extremely grabby,impossible to let the lever out slowly enough to effect a smooth change of gear (up or down) or take-off.I bought the machine from a dealer who said that he had replaced the drive shaft and couplings,so I assume that the previous owner(S) have destroyed it with this extreme clutch action.The RM is fitted with the single plate clutch,it snicks into first no problem and is not dragging if in gear with the cluth lever pulled in.Is it possible that I have a master/slave cylinder problem or possibly old (original even) clutch fluid (with a hydroscopic issue) or is there a secret easy fix? Please don't tell me it's an engine out job! :angry:

IF and I mean IF the bike is fitted with a new clutch, pressure plate or part like this it is possible these parts were coated with cosmolene (sp) or some other rust preventative. If this is not cleaned from the metal surfaces upon assembly you can get this effect or affect....

You do not have any hydraulic problems or you would not be able to put the bike in gear easily.

Sorry, friend. It's an 'engine-out' job if you have to access the clutch plate(s).

Fortunately, that's pretty easy on these machines.

um, do you have the original clutch? Is that one of the models with the grenading flywheel? I don't want to be alarmist, but I dont recall off hand.

Thanks for the input,the annoying part of this is that the clutch feels OK,but it is a "hair trigger"and a bugger to ride in traffic,on the open road it is hardly noticed.I'm just a bloke with some spanners,can anyone direct me to a posting that gives some info on taking out the motor...and if so ,how many hours would a proper shop charge for such a task? :luigi: BTW,I read in another post (which I can't now find!) that it is possible to adjust the clutch lever action by removing the lever and turning an internal screw.....I wonder if that might help? Any clues as to where that posting is? :doh:

The internal screw adjustment won't do a whole lot for clutch feel- it just changes the position where the clutch engages (unless it is wildly out of adjustment).

Reflecting on what you say, it reminds me of a time on my Eldo when the clutch fragged. It was a dual plate clutch (normal run-of-the-mill Guzzi clutch) and the rivets on one of the friction discs came loose. It really smacked into gear and I thought it was a transmission problem until I opened it up.

So...maybe a friction disc is bad????

I don't know offhand a link to taking the motor out, but if you have a shed, then you can basically remove the rear wheel and drive, loosen "everything" and lift the tail up, while supporting the motor. I am trying to leave town right now, so I don't have time to elaborate much- check the workshop manual perhaps or search for posts by Pete Roper- he has posted that kind of thing before (very helpful).

You can get the workshop manual from groups.yahoo.com and search for V11 workshop manual. It's in the downloads or files section.

Hi Crawsue,

I remember seeing a pic here of someone replacing their clutch in what appeared to be their living room by removing the engine. It actually didn't look too hard.

Ah ha! It was Paul Minnaert who posted it. Here it is:

DSC00946.JPG

from http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13353&st=0&p=144558&hl="clutch%20replacement"&fromsearch=1entry144558

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue with my Rosso. If I'm at a stop light and the bike is in gear. Simply relaxing my clutch hand will engage the clutch.

It makes an otherwise fabulous bike nearly unrideable. Especially if you ride a number of different bikes. Once I get done riding one of the other bikes for a few days and return to the RM, I need to be well aware of the clutch or I stall the bike numerous times like a beginner!

So....There is absolutly no way to adjust the clutch for take-up further out with the clutch lever?