horn nut rubbed thru oil cooler lines.....

jam

Was out on a Sierra Nevada "pass-bagging" jaunt last weekend, and 15 miles from the end of the day - after we rode Tioga and Sonora Passes - my 2003 Rosso Corsa started puking oil big-time. turned out that a nut on the horn assembly rubbed thru the oil cooler lines and made holes in the rubber. Has anyone else had that happen? Just curious....

Btw, it was a glorious ride thru the Sierras, and I was VERY lucky that this happened where and when it did. Had it happened up in one of the passes, would have been much more problematic. As it was, I slipped a bit 1-2 miles before we stopped to look at a map (and then noticed the oil), but didn't know why - thought I must have not seen some gravel in the shade on the goat road we were on.... Of course, the oil on the rear tire was the cause. Really lucky.

tiogaandsonora031.jpg

Jami,

You should have had lots of clearance around this area. There is a rubber sleeve covering the stainless hoses on my bike. Is yours like that? You will probably have to purchase hose from M/G because of the fittings. A hydraulic hose store "might" be able to fix you up though. When you go back together, there is a spiral wrap for hoses to protect them. See if the hose store has this stuff.

I had one fail on mine due to a tight angle at the union on the oil cooler thanks to having crash bars fitted (previous owner) and hoses not being extended to suit. Old age may not have helped either. Local hydraulic shop made up some new hoses for a bargain £40 (compared to over double that for genuine MG parts). If you go down the hydraulic shop route, make sure they get the correct bore fittings as they are an odd size for their O/D apparently.

Trev

Thank you both for responding!! G, i'm speaking from memory coz the bike is at the mechanic's, but yes, there was a rubber partial sleeve on one of the lines. I say "partial" coz it only went half-way around the line - in fact, it looked disheveled - not exactly all chewed up, as in chopped-up or cut-up edges or anything, but it didn't look right. hard to describe. And the rubber was only on one line. do you have the rubber sleeves on both lines?

I'm getting some new lines thru Todd E. at Guzzitech.