Anyone Interested In Ordering Mike Rich Pistons With Me?

Mike Stewart

Hello,

I need a set of Mike Rich pistons for my Ghezzi Brian and after talking to him today, he told me that he needs to order the pistons in batches. He does not want to have 12 sets on the shelf, so he told me if I could find a few people interested, then he would place in an order to have them made up.

The pistons with rings are $495.00

So anyone else looking to upgrade their bikes as well?

Let me know and lets get the ball rolling.

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say Mike...

so for cost of $495.00 just what is the sum total benefit that is gained?

Are there other changes necessary to be done to fully exploit this swap?

What limitations do the stock pistons give as compared to the MR's?

Is one to assume from Rich's reluctance to have 12 sets sitting on shelf

that these pistons give small gains? I mean, if they're so good why don't

V11 owners clamber all over each other to get ahold of 'em?

Or, is it, like me, a lack of full understanding of the merits?

If I knew exactly what to expect I'd be able to weigh up the pros & cons

of your request to add to the list!

Care to enlighten?

Thanks, ScuRoo

Went hunting & found this from 2004, but would'nt mind more comprehensive info on full range of benefits.

Some Mike Rich "marketing info" on the pistons:

AS FOR MY PISTON KIT- 

THEY INCREASE ACTUAL MEASURED COMPRESSION FROM AVERAGE 9.4 / 9.6 TO 1 TO AN ACTUAL 10.25 TO 1. 

EXPECT 2 TO 3 HP ( SOME HAVE SAID MUCH MORE)   

THEY ARE DESIGNED TO HELP ELIMINATE DETONATION AND INCREASE PERFORMANCE WITH BETTER AND LESS OBSTRUCTED BURN.

THANKS AGAIN -----------MIKE RICH

Yes, Mike Rich summed it up nicely.

His pistons are a plug and play deal, the piston weights are the same as stock so no rebalance is required. There is also no machining needed as he has designed his pistons with a chamfer to match the one in the cylinder head. This will reduce the squish area and rid the engine of the ping issue.

I alao like the lower dome height for a better burn/flame path.

I have a set of FBF pistons in my Gheezi Brian and on hot dry days, it pings pretty bad. Best cost effective and easiest approach is to replace the pistons with a set from Mike Rich. If I can't find enough interest in anyone else wanting his pistons, I will have my cylinder heads, cylinders, pushrods and FBF pistons cut down to get the squish area and compression ratio where it needs to be.

Mike

Mike, My '03 Sport has about 170 miles on the engine. Following advice on this forum, I've accelerated hard a few times to try to seat the rings.

I assume I'm still early in the break in process.

What, if any, preparation of the cylinder walls would be needed for me to install the new Mike Rich pistons?

Thanks, Troy

Troy,

The cylinders are aluminum that have a Nicasil coating. I believe no prep work is needed to the cylinder walls (best to ask Mike Rich) and good old hard acceleration is the best way to seat the rings.

Mike

ScuRoo,

The demand for the MR pistons has been on the decline, mainly because of the V11 Sport is an older model and the newer Guzzi's use a different piston. I have been waiting for over a year for him to get some in, that's why I am trying this approach.

Hum, maybe I should buy a few sets and put them on the shelf. :unsure: Remember the supply and demand laws we learned at school, they should be very valuable as time goes by.

Mike

Say Mike...

so for cost of $495.00 just what is the sum total benefit that is gained?

Are there other changes necessary to be done to fully exploit this swap?

What limitations do the stock pistons give as compared to the MR's?

Is one to assume from Rich's reluctance to have 12 sets sitting on shelf

that these pistons give small gains? I mean, if they're so good why don't

V11 owners clamber all over each other to get ahold of 'em?

Or, is it, like me, a lack of full understanding of the merits?

If I knew exactly what to expect I'd be able to weigh up the pros & cons

of your request to add to the list!

Care to enlighten?

Thanks, ScuRoo

Here are some photos of the Mike Rich "drop in" pistons I received the other day in advance of my engine case swap.

I can't offer much technical detail other than they are lightweight, with an "improved squish", and about 10.5:1 true CR in my case(due to some previous work), but normally about 10:1 true. They also have an anti-friction coating on the skirts.

If I recall, they were about $330 for the set.

For more info, contact Mike Rich, at Mike Rich Motorsports:

http://www.cookedgoose.org/sponsors/richmotorsports.htm

al

You know what Mike? If it is as you say that on the basis they are truly plug & play, I'm gunna help get the ball rolling & put my hand up for a set. Seems these items may prove to be a bit of a rare opportunity insomuch as not being available too often - not to mention price rises!

One last question with this particular P&P - sure no fuelling or balance issues are incurred?

Higher compression AND with less ping? Sounds like a great little win-win p&p pep-up in that case... :thumbsup:

Cheers!

ScuRoo,

He states that they are drop in pistons, the compression ratio is about 3/4 of a point higher. For full benefits I think a remap would be best. Perhaps give Mike Rich a call for his input.

Check out Mike Rich Motorsport web site: http://www.mikerichmotorsports.com/MGproducts.htm

And here is his contact information: http://www.mikerichmotorsports.com/contact_us.htm

Mike

Here are some photos of the Mike Rich "drop in" pistons I received the other day in advance of my engine case swap.

I can't offer much technical detail other than they are lightweight, with an "improved squish", and about 10.5:1 true CR in my case(due to some previous work), but normally about 10:1 true. They also have an anti-friction coating on the skirts.

If I recall, they were about $330 for the set.

For more info, contact Mike Rich, at Mike Rich Motorsports:

http://www.cookedgoose.org/sponsors/richmotorsports.htm

al

You know what Mike? If it is as you say that on the basis they are truly plug & play, I'm gunna help get the ball rolling & put my hand up for a set. Seems these items may prove to be a bit of a rare opportunity insomuch as not being available too often - not to mention price rises!

One last question with this particular P&P - sure no fuelling or balance issues are incurred?

Higher compression AND with less ping? Sounds like a great little win-win p&p pep-up in that case... :thumbsup:

Cheers!

ScuRoo,

Mike Rich has a good reputation- I would trust him to design a proper piston, so I doubt you will be disappointed.

Mike Stewart- Nice to hear from you again! Hope you are doing well :bier:

Jason

Hello Jason,

Yes, it has been a few years! How are the wife and daughter doing? Are you teaching or doing research these days?

I finally got the urge to get back to riding Guzzi's, problem number one is, I went mountain bike riding Sunday and crashed! Now I have a fracture in my arm and I am going crazy at home not to mention the road rash I have aquired. Can't do much with one good hand. :whistle: I mean working around the house.

Mike

ScuRoo,

Mike Rich has a good reputation- I would trust him to design a proper piston, so I doubt you will be disappointed.

Mike Stewart- Nice to hear from you again! Hope you are doing well :bier:

Jason

Cheers![/font][/size][/b]

Not so much "higher compression" as "delivering the true compression Guzzi advertised."

The stock Guzzi V11 pistons are unchanged from the "Spot/Sporti" mid-90s products. The thing is, Guzzi redesigned the heads slightly in the intervening years for the V11 models, w/o making the necessary changes to the pistons to properly match them to the new V11 combustion chamber design. This is Mike Rich's contention, & photographic & anecdotal evidence over the years seems to substantiate his position. Just as the antiquated combustion chamber design hampers the power output of the small-blocks, so too for the big block Guzzis [altho' for vastly different reasons, & to a lesser degree than in the SB Guzzis...]

Mike Rich pistons have been shown to dramatically decrease pinging complaints, altho' he does not come out & say you can run anything less than premium fuel. But at least you can apparently get by on premium pump gas, w/o having to carry around a supply of 100LL avgas to avoid pinging like a WWII movie sonarman... :grin:

BTW, I'm the SOB who bought his last set October of last year. [still haven't gotten 'round to installing them, but I wanted to snag'em before the price went up. Again. Shoulda snagged some back when they were only $300/pr! :rolleyes:

But that gives you an idea of how slow a mover these things are, if people are only now discovering that he's out of stock. So we should probably organize a big group buy so that he'll get a bunch of extras made, since this will probably be the last hurrah for V11 owners who are serious about keeping their Guzzis long term...

:thumbsup:

Agreed, I can even see the prices of the pistons going up higher the way the economy is going (I need to stop watching the news) :whistle:

Hopefully others will be interested as I can't really justify buying a few sets to shelve.

So far, I need a set and ScuRoo would like a set, anyone else? I will give it a week or two to see where this goes.

Mike

But that gives you an idea of how slow a mover these things are, if people are only now discovering that he's out of stock. So we should probably organize a big group buy so that he'll get a bunch of extras made, since this will probably be the last hurrah for V11 owners who are serious about keeping their Guzzis long term...

:thumbsup:

Just an FYI. I've had Mike's pistons in my bike for several years now. My bike never pings. There is a noticeable power increase in the 5000-8000 RPM range. They are drop in. If you hone, just a quick, light ball hone as a clean up. You don't want to go through the coating.

Recommended mod. :thumbsup:

Mike,

I'm in for a set.

Troy

Agreed, I can even see the prices of the pistons going up higher the way the economy is going (I need to stop watching the news) :whistle:

Hopefully others will be interested as I can't really justify buying a few sets to shelve.

So far, I need a set and ScuRoo would like a set, anyone else? I will give it a week or two to see where this goes.

Mike