2000-2001 Power Commander in 2004 V11?

sam

Hi, I have a 2004 V11 Ballabio.

There doesn't seems to be a power commander made for 2004 V11.

Only ones I can find are for 2000-2001 V11's.

The question is if I use 2000-2001 V11's Power Commander III on my 2004 V11.

Also, if it will connect up with my ECU, will the downloadable maps work the same?

Will the model number 706-411 power commander work with my 2004 V11?

My V11 has the "H" header whereas older V11 do not seem to.

Thank you for any pointers!

Hi, I have a 2004 V11 Ballabio.

There doesn't seems to be a power commander made for 2004 V11.

Only ones I can find are for 2000-2001 V11's.

The question is if I use 2000-2001 V11's Power Commander III on my 2004 V11.

Also, if it will connect up with my ECU, will the downloadable maps work the same?

Will the model number 706-411 power commander work with my 2004 V11?

My V11 has the "H" header whereas older V11 do not seem to.

Thank you for any pointers!

Ji

the PC will work with your bike. Main issues are:

- I think your bike has Lambda sensors so available maps might not work as effectively on your bike as the non sensored one

- the H pipe is their to give a freer flowing exhaust system so sam applies here also

It depnds on what you want from the PC. Most people want either elimination of the V11 "cough" which occurs at a steady speed slight throttle opening, or better bottom to mid range torque. Both are actually manifestations of the same problem ie that MG set the V11 up very lean to meet strict emissions controls in the US and Switzerland. The cure is simple, richen up the fueling by up to 10% in the first 30% of throttle opening. It's the equivalent of opening the pilot mixture screw on a carb. If you want to be really scientific, do it in conjunction with a dyno test, but I did it by feel gradully richening the mixture up where the bike felt weak, until I got it how I wanted it. It took about 10 iteearions til I got it right but it's a nice bike now.

Cheers

Guzz

A Power Commander that works with a 2000 V11 will work with your 2004. Where do you live? If you're in the US then the 02 sensor that Guzzimeister mentioned shouldn't be a concern because US V11s don't have them. The 2004 bikes did have different fuel mapping than the earlier bikes so a PC map that was done for an earlier bike won't work well with yours. If you buy the PCIII from Todd at Guzzitech he will supply an appropriate map for your model year bike with whatever modifications you may have.

Thank you very much for the helpful replies.

I am in the US, and, as Tom mentioned, I don't think I have the O2 sensor.

There is nothing sticking out at or around the O2 sensor location.

(I am assuming the O2 sensor location is same in the Mistral crossover http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=1687 )

So another question, then, is if I buy a set of exhaust and crossover and install them, will my bike run ok?

Will the performance be really really bad?

Will it hurt the engine if I don't install PCIII right away?

Thank you!

... if I buy a set of exhaust and crossover and install them, will my bike run ok?

No, it won't hurt your engine and the bike won't perform badly because of such mods. Nevertheless you should try to get the bike properly working as it is before you do any changes to it. Without a stable platform you'll never be able to say what any changes in the setup have changed.

hubert

Why not change to MyECU instead...? Wouldn't this do the same as the PC, -or may be even more?

Or have I misunderstood...?

My 2003 Rosso Corsa ran beautiful with the stock ecu and exhaust. When I changed the crossover and mufflers the bike ran terrible as I lost all of the low to mid range power. The only way at the time to correct this was with the Powercommander.

Mike

Thank you very much for the helpful replies.

I am in the US, and, as Tom mentioned, I don't think I have the O2 sensor.

There is nothing sticking out at or around the O2 sensor location.

(I am assuming the O2 sensor location is same in the Mistral crossover http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=1687 )

So another question, then, is if I buy a set of exhaust and crossover and install them, will my bike run ok?

Thank you!

Why not change to MyECU instead...? Wouldn't this do the same as the PC, -or may be even more?

Or have I misunderstood...?

I looked into that option, but 1) I don't have an O2 sensor and 2)this page discouraged me. Especially the fragility part. http://jefferies-au.org/MyECU/Is_My16M_for_you.html

The quote about Fragility was referring to the stock Guzzi ECU, not MyECU. The fragility of the stock ECU is a reason for switching to Cliffs MyECU, not a reason to not switch. He does not claim his is less likely to go up in smoke but if it does it is easier/cheaper to fix.

Reasons to not go with Cliffs MyECU would be things like complexity of setup and if you build yours from kit that is another. It is not the plug and play simplicity of a Power Commander (I currently have two of those) but it is more advanced and can do things the PC can't. But they are not for everybody.