oil filter

docc

Other than the UFI, the Champion made filter available at WankMark (Super Tech ST3614) has been referenced here before.

I had my local Oh,Really parts store cross reference to a WIX. I am under the (perhaps misled) impression that WIX makes a good reliable filter. (They say : WIX 51348)

The question is, what does it otherwise fit? They listed SAB/CHR/TOY '67-'09.

Whatever that means.:huh2:

OK, well, there's this:

Part Number: 51348 UPC Number: 765809513488 Principal Application: Various Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep (82-11), Various GM, Saturn (85-07), Lexus (90-10), Saab (67-09), Suzuki (86-02), Toyota (88-11), Ford (03-11), Mazda, Mercury (05-11), Yugo (86-89), VW (09-11) Various Lawn&Garden, Farm, HD Equipment

All Applications Style: Spin-On Lube Filter Service: Lube Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 3.404 Outer Diameter Top: 2.921 Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed Thread Size: 3/4-16 By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11 Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20 Burst Pressure-PSI: 275 Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk. Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226 __________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FWIW, I'm thinking it a good indication that Saab specified the filter for so long ('67 -'09) as well as Volkswagen more recently. That both Saturn and Jeep/Chrysler as well as Suzuki and Toyota have used it so long (20-30 years) should make it ever available.:luigi:

OK, well, there's this:

Part Number: 51348 UPC Number: 765809513488 Principal Application: Various Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep (82-11), Various GM, Saturn (85-07), Lexus (90-10), Saab (67-09), Suzuki (86-02), Toyota (88-11), Ford (03-11), Mazda, Mercury (05-11), Yugo (86-89), VW (09-11) Various Lawn&Garden, Farm, HD Equipment

All Applications Style: Spin-On Lube Filter Service: Lube Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 3.404 Outer Diameter Top: 2.921 Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed Thread Size: 3/4-16 By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11 Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20 Burst Pressure-PSI: 275 Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk. Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226 __________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FWIW, I'm thinking it a good indication that Saab specified the filter for so long ('67 -'09) as well as Volkswagen more recently. That both Saturn and Jeep/Chrysler as well as Suzuki and Toyota have used it so long (20-30 years) should make it ever available.:luigi:

I use a Mobil M1-102 filter in my Guzzis.

Thanks Docc, good to know for the long run. Here's an alternate for the UFI Fuel filter

UFI 3150100

Baldwin, BF 836

Cheers

Hi chaps

the Wix filter is OK, it's standard European auto aftermarket spare. I've used it plus Halfords HOF218 in muy bike no probs. If I'd put it in my car, I'd put it in my bike. Filter for the Euros among us is used on a Fiat Panda 85 onwards. Note Champion quote F107 as a fitment for this but it won't fit a V11, too tall.

Cheers

Guzz

Thanks, guys. I suppose I'll carry in my spare SuperTech and do a comparison. I thought about cutting them open for a look, but not likely.

Nice to know what these bits fit in the case of walking in the door of the parts store with no numbers.

I use a fuel filter for Isuzu Trooper (like , all years) and, apparently a Saab oil filter (like, all years!)

Off to Oh, Really's for this months oil/filter special on my new oil-of-choice: Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 SG.B)

I did an interchange. Here's a couple more:

A/C Delco PF53

Car Quest 85348(premium) / R85348(economy)- both made by WIX

HIC CF3614

Very common filter.

So, the trouble seems to be clearance for filter height.

The SuperTech (USA built Champion from WalMart) looks to be some 3.120 inches (7.88 cm) and the WIX 51348 looked much taller. I had O'Reilly's show the filter for Guzzi applications. All models were the same WIX 51215. (Hecho en Mexico)

It is also taller than the ST by about 7mm or 9/32" (3.404 inches).

The WIX specs state this filter (51215) is for Buell/HD/Dixie Chopper.

The only difference I see in the specs is the Burst Pressure/PSI which is 325 for the 51215 and lower for the "Saab" filter (51348): 275 psi.

EDIT: also, the WIX 51215 is more heavy duty construction than the SuperTech/Champion weighing 252 grams to the ST's 189 grams.

What about the height? What is the height on the UFI?

I keep the CarQuest 85348 (WIX made - 51348 equivalent) on hand - it measures 3.40"

My bike currently has a UFI installed and is due for a change. If no one gives the spec, I'll measure it and post when I change oil.

I have to think 1/4" is not an issue.

Thank you, gentlemen!:thumbsup:

The WIX looks so much better built, larger, and heavier that I think I'll install it instead of the ST. The Porsche site I linked references WIX as an acceptable replacement part. (I'm thinking Porsche people might be even pickier than Guzzi people some of whom have been to known to use those filter canisters that use toilet paper rolls :rolleyes:).

Thanks for the feedback!