No spark to the wires

Enzo

Check out this: Valeo Repair

An easy procedure to test the solenoid is some careful knocking on the solenoid while you have the starter knob pressed. Don't knock on the starter motor itself, resp. the mag housing, as these parts are delicate enough and do not need any further stressing.

The solenoid itself is hard to damage, but its assembly obviously has some tendency to become sticky from decade to decade ;) Mine is a 2000 and last week it was time for this the second time (lost the mags 4 or 5 years ago)

solenoid1.th.png solenoid2.th.png

Hubert

Thanks Hubert!

Never would of guess the solenoid is right next to the starter and its dam huge to boot. The Guzzi's solenoid is about the size of starter on Japanese bikes :) Guzzi's being my first Italian is still vary alien to me compare to Japanese counterparts from transmission fluids, to the location of the clutch slave (pain in the ass to bleed) to the odd size bulbs in instrument cluster.

Got the cover off the starter and clean and put die-electric grease on all the contact I could find, also clean the neutral switch contact just below the starter. Order up all new relays and hope the none start issues can be put to rest.