knee replacement surgery

having right knee done next tues. i suspect the result of couple bad M/C street crashes MANY yrs. ago, then 25 yrs of racing in the dirt. lots of injurys there, but the rule is "if you're racing in the dirt & not crashing occasionally, you're not trying hard enough" (however this rule DOES NOT apply to the street)

any advice here? i'm in pretty good shape, semi-serious bicycle rider, lots of exersize at work, kinda of a streamlined kinda guy.

and i guess i'll fill the fuel tanks of the herd, they'll be setting for a while.

stef

My mother had knee surgery at the age of 82 - to repair damage that originated from a car accident in her 30's but was compounded with a life of hard work on a farm. She says her knee has never felt better and she walks at least a mile every day now!

Hers was not a full replacement but a replacement of the surfaces inside (that's as best as I know it) so I can't say if it was the same as you are about to have but it sure worked for her!

I am looking into having both knees done as well so keep us posted. I know a couple of professional skiers who have had their knee's overhauled more than once! They highly recommend it!

• 3 weeks later...

My mother had knee surgery at the age of 82 - to repair damage that originated from a car accident in her 30's but was compounded with a life of hard work on a farm. She says her knee has never felt better and she walks at least a mile every day now!

Hers was not a full replacement but a replacement of the surfaces inside (that's as best as I know it) so I can't say if it was the same as you are about to have but it sure worked for her!

I am looking into having both knees done as well so keep us posted. I know a couple of professional skiers who have had their knee's overhauled more than once! They highly recommend it!

hi jim.

i'm now on day 13, complete right knee replacement.

i VASTLY underestimated the PAIN involved. also the amount of exercise(vital for a complete recovery).

these operations are quite commonplace now, i'll post my recovery as it goes, might help someone in the group.

my aunt has had 2 knees. and a friend had BOTH at the same time(honest). she was a catholic nun/teacher for many years.. and i've no doubt both these ladies are much tougher than i'll ever be.

stef