New Fuel tank

bmwr90s

Good luck, indeed, the more as on a LeMans the fairing follows the tank outline quite closely. The Tankshop tank looks splendid, but what if it comes out 5mm wider or narrower?

On the other hand, you probably could anytime resell it.

Hubert

Good luck, indeed, the more as on a LeMans the fairing follows the tank outline quite closely. The Tankshop tank looks splendid, but what if it comes out 5mm wider or narrower?

On the other hand, you probably could anytime resell it.

Hubert

I was thinking that as long as the tanks are all the same as far as dimensions, whatever is made in aluminum should be close enough to fit the plastic fairing. But who knows, if it doesn't fit I either will have to modify the bike or sell the tank... or just buy a V11 sport... not a big deal either way

Wow... the alu tanks look fantastic!

Love them.

But... how much?

I "think" around $750 USD.........

Close to $1,000 US with shipping to FL.

Closest guy in the US that will build one is nearly double. Not sure the price from AluTank on the cafe style tank.

Bob

I am going to go through with it and going to have an aluminum tank made. Just to be sure, there are no differences between the V11 tanks other than foam pad/fuel pumps right? Even between the sport models and Le Mans?

Short frame bikes ['99-'01] had the padded top & external fuel pump. Long frame bikes ['02+] had the smooth top & internal fuel pump.

AFAIK, the tanks are all same length/fitment, just the frame in front of the tank mount was extended slightly [approx. 1"?], but you might want to consult a copy of Guzziology or contact MI for confirmation.

If you've already got an external pump tank, it would be a minor chore to convert to the internal pump, but it eliminates the hot-start vapor lock problem. If you already have an internal pump tank, you won't want to convert to an external fuel pump, because you'll be creating problems for yourself. :luigi:

I am going to go through with it and going to have an aluminum tank made. Just to be sure, there are no differences between the V11 tanks other than foam pad/fuel pumps right? Even between the sport models and Le Mans?

Short frame bikes ['99-'01] had the padded top & external fuel pump. Long frame bikes ['02+] had the smooth top & internal fuel pump.

AFAIK, the tanks are all same length/fitment, just the frame in front of the tank mount was extended slightly [approx. 1"?], but you might want to consult a copy of Guzziology or contact MI for confirmation.

If you've already got an external pump tank, it would be a minor chore to convert to the internal pump, but it eliminates the hot-start vapor lock problem. If you already have an internal pump tank, you won't want to convert to an external fuel pump, because you'll be creating problems for yourself. luigi.gif

Don't be so sure about the info....... My bike has the external pump w/pad on top of tank and it is listed as a 2003 Sport model.

If you've already got an external pump tank, it would be a minor chore to convert to the internal pump, but it eliminates the hot-start vapor lock problem. If you already have an internal pump tank, you won't want to convert to an external fuel pump, because you'll be creating problems for yourself. luigi.gif

Don't be so sure about the info....... My bike has the external pump w/pad on top of tank and it is listed as a 2003 Sport model.

Figures you'd be a weirdo... ;) Good data point, G: thanks for the clarification! Leave it to Guzzi to make odd parts/styling/model transitions... they're worse than Ford that way! <_>

I ordered about $300 worth of fork seals n bushings from Joe Eish to find out you take nothing for granted on these bikes...... On a good note he took them back w/no restocking fee. That is why I buy EVERYTHING I can from him !

I am going to have the Tank Shop make one. They said they can make a V11 tank from previous fabrications. I am just having the stock tank remade in aluminum.... Ive been stationed oversees for a while and its going to be a little gift for myself for when I get home. Before I start asking them questions about their mold I figured I would try to get some general information on v11 tanks... as I cant even look at mine.

But I am putting it on a 2002 Le Mans... and they probably have a mold for a sport... so I am hoping that I hear there are no differences.

Hi, Mr. Beemer :thumbsup:

I only have very bad experiences with The Tank Shop. You gotta be P A T I E N T as in 'patient', in fact very patient. He promised to fix me a tank for my Scura and one year later (1 year) he called me and said the tank would be ready in a month or so. It wasn't. In fact to this date I haven't seen or heard anything from the good John Williams so I would rather look in the alutank.de direction.

Just my two cents based on my experience with Tank Shop.

Cheers

Søren

I am going to have the Tank Shop make one. They said they can make a V11 tank from previous fabrications. I am just having the stock tank remade in aluminum.... Ive been stationed oversees for a while and its going to be a little gift for myself for when I get home. Before I start asking them questions about their mold I figured I would try to get some general information on v11 tanks... as I cant even look at mine.

But I am putting it on a 2002 Le Mans... and they probably have a mold for a sport... so I am hoping that I hear there are no differences.

Hi, Mr. Beemer :thumbsup:

I only have very bad experiences with The Tank Shop. You gotta be P A T I E N T as in 'patient', in fact very patient. He promised to fix me a tank for my Scura and one year later (1 year) he called me and said the tank would be ready in a month or so. It wasn't. In fact to this date I haven't seen or heard anything from the good John Williams so I would rather look in the alutank.de direction.

Just my two cents based on my experience with Tank Shop.

Cheers

Søren

It is hit or miss with the Tank Shop. He was not too busy when I ordered a year ago September. Quoted me 12-weeks and think I had it in my hand in 15. I was not in a rush so I didn't care either way. I do like the look of the cafe tank from AluTank. If I was not keeping my stock tail I probably would have done something different.

Bob