k&n filters fittment

ace

Here's what I did-

I removed the entire air box, being careful not to damage the temp sensor. Then I took the intake runners (velocity stacks, the hard plastic tubes) and cut off the large lip at the end, so the tubes would then fit into the individual pod filters. In retrospect, it was a bit rash to cut them. Get some spares, or pieces of plastic tubing the same diameter and keep the original intake runners. Put the filters on the intake runners, and put the intake runners into the throttle bodies.

You may need to remove the side panels, depending on the size of the filters you use. This is a good idea anyhow, as several people have reported them cracking.

I used a ziptie to affix the temp sensor to the main spine frame (on the side of the spine). You do need to keep the sensor, but just make sure it is high enough that it doesn't read too hot from the engine.

That's it. Easy as pie.

I've probably forgotten something, since I did this 5 or 7 years ago, but it really was about that easy.

Say, can you still get the aluminum intakes from sportcycle pacific? They looked great and you could keep your original intake runners.

Here's what I did-

I removed the entire air box, being careful not to damage the temp sensor. Then I took the intake runners (velocity stacks, the hard plastic tubes) and cut off the large lip at the end, so the tubes would then fit into the individual pod filters. In retrospect, it was a bit rash to cut them. Get some spares, or pieces of plastic tubing the same diameter and keep the original intake runners. Put the filters on the intake runners, and put the intake runners into the throttle bodies.

You may need to remove the side panels, depending on the size of the filters you use. This is a good idea anyhow, as several people have reported them cracking.

I used a ziptie to affix the temp sensor to the main spine frame (on the side of the spine). You do need to keep the sensor, but just make sure it is high enough that it doesn't read too hot from the engine.

That's it. Easy as pie.

I've probably forgotten something, since I did this 5 or 7 years ago, but it really was about that easy.

Say, can you still get the aluminum intakes from sportcycle pacific? They looked great and you could keep your original intake runners.

thanks for all your help

regards ash

I did a similar thing with my old Rossa Corsa. I protected the sensor in a small open plastic cylinder I found in the garage- not sure if this was necessary.

I also bought a length of breather hose to extend the breather that normally goes to the airbox.

Left the side panels off because it looks nicer and you can get easy access to shock.

You may get slightly less mid range power but it's not significant.

Make sure get really big filters- can't recall the model number I'm sure you can Google it.

The only thing I would add to the discussion is you might need to set your tps a little higher when you switch to the pods. They seem to lean out the mix a little and setting the tps a little higher did the trick with my bike. I had the K&N's and then I bought a pair of the aluminum ones from sportcycle pacific. You'll enjoy being able to work on your bike a lot more with that airbox out of the way too.