How good are your brakes?

MixxedupMedia

Hi people: New here on this forum, just bought a 2002 LeMans

My brakes are great, that is, until this morning! While braking for the 2 speed bumps here at work, my my rear brake line popped off the banjo fitting on the rear caliper !!!

I was using rear brake only, just to give it exercise. At the 2nd speed bump it felt like I popped a brake line. At the m/c parking area, I could see a small amount of fluid that had dripped. I can't believe my eyes...the line popped off the barbed? portion of the banjo fitting! The crimp collar is still there on the banjo fitting, and the line is totally off.

A few ???'s:

Are the factory lines braided SS? This is what the bike has (I bought it used about 2 months ago).

Anybody else ever have this happen?

Was there a recall on these lines?

My opinion is that I should be able to "stand" on the rear pedal, and the lines should take the abusive pressure. (It is a good test for brake line integrity.) Yes, I was leaning a bit more than normal, because I was using rear only, but not nearly enough to lock up the rear wheel, either. I'm talking like 50 feet between bumps, and maybe 15mph back close to 1 or 2 mph.

I have some brake parts that I purchased from eBay............do you need a rear brake hose ?

Gene

Hello Gene,

Thanks for the offer! I did need a rear line, but I had one from a previous eBay purchase myself (it was for a Ducati, but it's the same reinforced braided SS construction). I removed the old line yesterday, compared the two. The one I have is about 2 inches longer, but it seems to fit decently, with a bit more of a loop towards the rear, before it connects to the caliper. Just need to fill and bleed the system now. I'll probably remove the rear caliper for bleeding, since the caliper is mounted upside-down, and the bleeder is facing down. Last I knew, bubbles like to go up in liquids!

Stick

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, GS - still can't upload pics the old way (see other thrad ref. that)  but I can assure you they look good  :whistle: