Quick Release Couplings

rbt1548

Hi All, because of the not so nice weather I decided to strip my bike down and clean out the nooks and cranies, and check the air filter as I hadn't had chance since I bought the bike a month ago.

I looked at Haydnr's great video on how to release the fuel couplings and it all seemed straightforward, the problem I have though, is a few years ago, I broke both my scafoid and thumb and can't seem to get enough grip/purchase on the couplings.

Now I don't know if anybody has done this or has considered it, but, not wanting to risk snapping the plastic elbows by using too much brute force at the wrong place, as documented on the site, I thought about inserting a quick release coupling into the fuel lines, the type that just has a metal button to release, and securing them into the line with fuel clips. That way it may be easier for me to disconnect and connect the fuel lines to the tank.

Is it a viable option?, all opinions welcome.

Thanks

Robert

Hi All, because of the not so nice weather I decided to strip my bike down and clean out the nooks and cranies, and check the air filter as I hadn't had chance since I bought the bike a month ago.

I looked at Haydnr's great video on how to release the fuel couplings and it all seemed straightforward, the problem I have though, is a few years ago, I broke both my scafoid and thumb and can't seem to get enough grip/purchase on the couplings.

Now I don't know if anybody has done this or has considered it, but, not wanting to risk snapping the plastic elbows by using too much brute force at the wrong place, as documented on the site, I thought about inserting a quick release coupling into the fuel lines, the type that just has a metal button to release, and securing them into the line with fuel clips. That way it may be easier for me to disconnect and connect the fuel lines to the tank.

Is it a viable option?, all opinions welcome.

Thanks

Robert

Hi Robert,

yes it is. QR couplings are available on the Denon Tweeks or indeed any rally car site. I fitted one to the pressurised side by the fuel pressure reg whic I think is a 6mm bore. Has worked fine for 5 years. Not easy to remove though, easier with needle nose pliers. I didn't bother with the fuel tap side as I could turn the fuel tap off. Some early v11s have a solenoid operated fuel tap which also automatically shuts the fuel off. As far as I can remember the QR coupling was about £15. They are prettu robust, by the way.

Cheers

Guzz

If the fuel lines are the same size , I would put male and female couplings on the same side of the connection to keep from swapping them up any time you have the tank off. Also, change them out one circuit at a time to keep from hooking them up wrong.