new guy jitters

Guest Bradley

Guest Bradley

Hi, I'm the new guy. :blush: Just e-mailed Al R. and he was very helpful.Thanks Al. Now that I know how this forum thing works [i'm a genuine computer idiot], I'd like to get some input from others. I recently sold my harley and klr 650 to pay some bills [argh!] and possibly purchase a left-over 2002 Lemans from Orange County Motosports in Calif. I've owned all different brands of bikes in my 28 years of riding, but I've always loved the looks of the sporty Guzzis. When the 2002 Lemans came out,I fell in lust. :wub: Then I discovered this site and tried to get educated. As I wrote to Al, I just have some concerns about overall reliability. Not being anything close to resembling a mechanic, I'd just like some words of wisdom from owners. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind getting my hands dirty and wrenching on something I love, but I enjoy riding quite a bit more. So, what do you think, should I join the club [cult] :unsure: or just stick with my poor old 95 Triumph Super 3?.........

Guest Phil/TX

Go for it, I rode my 02 Le Mans yesterday, and I still love it, sure there are some quirks, but the only problem I have had is paint bubbling up on the engine, and warranty will take care of that. The bike is very reliable, but can be a little hard on tires, but that is related to the type of rubber you have to run on these type of bikes. Like VW' s got great tire milage, and GTO's got poor tire milage, but which was more fun to drive? I don't think you will go wrong with this one.

Phil :P

I won't trade my 02 Scura.

Well that being said. So far 5.5k miles, timing cover leaked twice (Warrenty once, silicone fixed the second), bubbling engine paint, (Harley engine paint fixed and got my wife a very nice rain suit), and the fogging tach, (small drill hole fixed).

While you may have read about other problems on this site, shift spring, pinging, groaning rear brake, and now the recall on the trans and rods. These (in my opinion) are very similar to other model problems from the other manufactuers. (I won't tell you how many Suzuki head gasket/cyln to piston, timing chain job I've done.) While the larger amnufactuers are quick to fix and recall these problems they also do so because many more sales are at stake. (Hey guy's didn't we cover this somewhere???) Oh well you get the idea I hope.

Just remember the problems presented here are the worst. There are several thousand very happy owners who we never have heard a word from. (Don't know if this is good or bad :( )

Personally I say go for it. Good luck on your descision.

:xmas: Would make a good present though. :D

Well, we all have them :stupid: Guzzi's being Italian and made by wine drinking Italians There is not a bike made that is bulletproof. Honda VFR's have FI problems (among others), Goldwings have cracked welds, ST1300 throw more heat on the rider than a 1 kiloton explosion, so even the worlds best automotive manufacturer is not without problems when building bikes.

They are higher stressed than cages, therefore having part failures should be expected. But after all you rode a Harley! Talk about failures.

Go for the goose! I love my LeMans and other than a few issues with MGNA would buy another in a heartbeat. :mg:

Guest Bradley

OK, I feel better now. Thanks for the help everyone. It 's all beginning to make sense now........yes yes,Triumph plus LeMans = happy guy! :D

Gotta do it!

sorry 'bout the KLR LeMan, I do miss her

OK, I feel better now. Thanks for the help everyone. It 's all beginning to make sense now........yes yes,Triumph plus LeMans = happy guy! :D

Gotta do it!

sorry 'bout the KLR LeMan, I do miss her

No need to pile on, I suppose, as others seem to have reassuredd you, but I will add my own experience with two Guzzis.

No one on this board is likely to be less a wrench than I am. As a classic reentry rider, I bought a new but leftover 98 Cali EV in August 2000. Since put 54K on it. Can't say zero problems, but only one disabled it, and that for a day--and, btw, that was at mile 187.

So pleased with that experience, and liking the LeMans (rode Tx Phil's one time--he poste on this topic, above) and Sports in general, I bought a Ballabio this summer, and have 4K on it. Only problem thus far (tho I am about to post a question on this site later about another possible issue) has been the speedo cable broke. Dealer fixed on the spot.

My bottom line is that one need not be a wrench to own a Guzzi, and mine, at least, have been almost as reliable as my wife's Honda Civic (which is high praise indeed) and LOTS more fun.

Regards and welcome,

Bill

Nathan at Orange county triumph sold my buddy a 2002 lemans about 2 months ago, and then after he let me ride it I knew I had to have one too (I had been buell shopping but I just didnt fit those small things)... took about 3 weeks total to get the bike, in fact just got it last weds, put about 100 miles on it so far riding around the recent bad weather. A couple of small issues, tail light was shorted out (blown fuse) due to the license plate lamp wires pinched under the mounting bracket - took about an hour to find it - fortunately there is a wiring diagram in the owners manual. Also had a loose mounting bolt on the right side of the engine detailed in another post here. Im very pleased with the deal and love the bike.