Rocker59's Tonti LeMans Thread

rocker59

In my Spine Frame thread on WG, I mentioned that the LM-III was my first Guzzi Revelation. I was a teenager in the '80s when that bike came out and always wanted a LeMans.

Finally, my first intro into Guzzi ownership was a 1996 Sport 1100, which I still own. But, I have always wanted a Tonti LeMans.

A couple years ago, I missed out on the special 1991 LeMans that Bill929 ended up with, and I've had one of these on my mind ever since. This year, another one came up but the timing was a bit off for me and Chuck in Indiana ended up with the bike, saving it from an uncertain future languishing in an Asian dealership in Chicago.

Long story short, Chuck decided he'd rather have a Rosso Corsa than the '91 LeMans, so we made a deal and I was finally able to drag it home...

So Saturday, Marcia and I headed east to Indiana to pick up the new bike, stopping along the way in St. Louis for a quick picnick on The Landing under The Eads Bridge.

DSCN9299-M.jpg

DSCN9300-M.jpg

Finally, around 9pm EST, we arrived at Chuck's in Indiana. His gracious wife had some good chilli on the stove for us, and Mmmm, it was good!

Sunday Morning, we awoke to another nice meal courtesy of our hosts, then Chuck and I headed out to the garage. The old LeMans fired right up, and I took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood. It checked out, and when I got back, Marcia hopped on and down the road we went.

001-16.jpg

The bike feels real nice, personality very similar to my Sport 1100. The transmission seems to have close ratios, which made the bike very rideable. Nice torque, too.

Soon enough, the bike was on the trailer and we were ready to head back West towards home.

DSCN9303-M.jpg

Kip, OffCamber1, had called and wanted to meet for lunch. He picked a great spot along the way at Casey Illinois, Richard's Farm. Worth the stop, if ever you're travelling on I-70 in Illinois! Lunch with Kip and his wife, Kris, was great!

DSCN9304-M.jpg

DSCN9307-M.jpg

We finally arrived home around 930 CST last night. The LeMans is resting in the garage with the others. I can't wait to ride it this week. I hope the weather holds out!

1201090001-M.jpg

LM-v-M.jpg

1st "official ride" on the LM-V yesterday at noontime. A little 30-mile loop to get a feel for the new bike.

I've always wondered what a Bassa/Special would feel like with a Sport 1100 engine installed. Yesterday's ride showed me! LOL! :D

There's no mistaking the LM-V is a 1970s bike in 1980s clothing. Definite vintage Itallian sporty bike vibe! I remember now why I got rid of the foam rubber grips that came stock on the Sport 1100. A set of ProGrip gel grips is in order, and I just happen to have a spare set on the shelf in the garage. I'd also forgotten about the Dellorto's near 1/2-turn throttle and stiff springs since going to Keihins on the Sport 1100. I won't do that on this bike, so I'll live with it.

I like narrow bikes. The one thing I really dislike about the V11 LeMans is the wide tank. The LM-V is like the Sport 1100 in that it feels narrow! I can tell you this, the fairing on the LM-V works! Smooth air and little noise, just like on the Sport 1100. Much quieter than the V11 LeMans.

The suspension is plush. I've heard people say these things rode like log wagons, but they must've been lightweights. I actually like a softer suspension because of the roads I ride. If the rider is smooth, the softer (I know this is a relative term) suspension can be rewarding on the twisty roads. I will need to crank the Konis up to the highest notch, though, for my near 250-lbs.

The bike pulls nicely, the tranny gears are nicely spaced, it idles smoothly at 1100rpm, and will accellerate quite briskly with a double-take on the long-pull throttle.

Well that's it for first impressions. Stay tuned for more.

Does your bike have the 16" front wheel ?

If you find some grips that take away from the harshness let me know!

BTW........ the sidestand is an adventure, so watch it. I use the centerstand ALL the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Does your bike have the 16" front wheel ?

If you find some grips that take away from the harshness let me know!

BTW........ the sidestand is an adventure, so watch it. I use the centerstand ALL the time.

It's got the 18" front.

I use ProGrip 699 gel grips on my Sport 1100, so I'll give them a try on the LM-V.