2003 lemans

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

The 03 lemans model are touted as having new oil cooling feature to reduce piston heat. Does any one know any details about this feature? Does it address the pinging issues that are occur in the ealier models? Also has anyone had the pleasure of changing the fuel filter on the 03 models? It it serviceable at home or do you need to go the dealer? How much of a PIA is it? Anyone test ridden a 03 and 02 model with some input on their impressions between the 02 and 03 models?

The fuel filter shouldn't be a problem to change on the 03 bikes. The fuel lines come off very easy, no tools needed. Just push in the line and pull back the coupler and the line is off. No stinking hose clamps to deal with. :bier: I believe to replace the fuel filter, the fuel pump must be removed which is on the right side of the fuel tank. I don't know anyone that has removed it to find out yet.

The 02 Lemans and O3 Lemans are pretty much the same bike with the main differences in the engine. I have not noticed any pinging on the 03 and I think the oil jets are for cooling of the piston/cylinder while providing more lubrication. The reason for no pinging is most likely a remap of the fuel injection/timing curve.

The 03 runs very good in stock form, the fuel injection is just about right on the money. But once you change the exhaust, you will find that the bike now won't have any low end power and will hesitate and stumble. A PCIII is needed to get the air/fuel ratio right again, so save enough money to do the exhaust and PCIII at the same time.

The 03 runs very different than the 02 and earlier bikes. The first thing you will notice is the extra torque the bike has at lower rpm's. It is a very easy bike to ride. Very smooth with just a hint of vibration through the bars. While the powerband is very smooth, I think the earlier bikes pull stronger in the upper rpm's This might be a false seat of the pants feeling since the bike has more low end power but the 00 Sport comes on real strong in the upper rpm's

So the best thing to do is go out and ride one. Give Jason a call at MOTO ITALIANO and take a test ride on the demo! :thumbsup: :!:

Mike

Guest callithrix

Thanks for responses. I have ridden the 03 Lemans and came away with similar observations. I just wanted other opinions and impressions. The 03 appears to be smoother and better finished overall, not mention the colors are perfect; that's the problem I 'm really smitten with it. :wub: l

Guest northend

No problem!!! I have an 03 Le Mans (black & gray) . Mods include: FBF crossover, PC III usb, M-4 oval carbon cans, FBF air cleaner airbox kit, Throttlemeister heavy bar end weights, & Teckno sport bags. I've put 3,000 miles on the bike and love it!!! :D . I still have my 78 H.D. Custom but I'm havin a ball with the Guzzi :bike:

My suggestion: Life's short...Buy one :thumbsup:

Later..................Jeff H. (Detroit,MI.)