Securing oil filter

Bjor

I lost the oil pressure on my Rosso Corsa last summer. Reason was that the oil filter had become loose. Luckily I stopped and found the reason in time, and torqued the filter properly. So far no problems, -but who knows when the filter is coming off again... :rolleyes:

I have read a couple of threads here in this forum on the subject. One interesting link is this one Big Daddy Pictorial Using Hose Clamp To Secure Filter, but when I click on it, all I get is some sort of Guzzishop. Does anyone know where it's gone? Or could anyone describe how this is done, preferably with photos?

Just take a large worm drive hose clamp and clamp it around the filter with the screw part near one of the

adjacent pillars, ther's no way that sucker can ever work loose.

You have to remove the sump to do this but it lets you clean out the grunge at the same time.

The search function on this site never works quite how I think it will but I did find a thread with a pic.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10930&view=findpost&p=119103

It makes it a little more work to change the filter because you have to remove the oil pan but it's really not that bad.

johnk - (Who once had his oil filter back out and blow his rod bearings and now has a clamp on his filter.)

The search function on this site never works quite how I think it will but I did find a thread with a pic.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10930&view=findpost&p=119103

It makes it a little more work to change the filter because you have to remove the oil pan but it's really not that bad.

johnk - (Who once had his oil filter back out and blow his rod bearings and now has a clamp on his filter.)

Ahh Rachet, I miss his special style of English :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, all is clear now :thumbsup:

I always remove the sump when changing the filter anyway, partly for inspection and partly because I find the threads of the lid easy to damage.

By the way, the first filter I changed on this bike (mounted by the previous owner, of course...) had to be removed with an angle grinder and a drill, after having twisted it with a puller...

The search function on this site never works quite how I think it will .

I thought it was just me who had difficulty locating stuff! :D

After your initial search, drop down the "RESULT SORTING" menu and choose "Relevance" and click "update."

It still throws a myriad of results at you, but more likely to find those old threads we so fondly remember . . . :nerd:

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot, all is clear now :thumbsup:

I always remove the sump when changing the filter anyway, partly for inspection and partly because I find the threads of the lid easy to damage.

By the way, the first filter I changed on this bike (mounted by the previous owner, of course...) had to be removed with an angle grinder and a drill, after having twisted it with a puller...

Yeah, I've just been through that.

First of all the filter tho' UFI had a different number of flats from the Guzzi tool I got (and that filter was fitted by a Guzzi dealer - it had the date and other refs written on it like a whole load of other replaceables on the bike). so off with the sump.

Then it had clearly been wrenched on with a scaffold pole because even a screwdriver punched through wouldn't do it, just tore the metal: never failed me before. So off with the oil manifold/filter carrier and then the copper pipe to get a better hold. Chain wrenches, strap wrenches, jubilee clips - nada.

In the end my friendly local automotive shop (Apsley Motors) offered me a neat Gizmo with three legs that dug into the filter body the more torque you apply: 'If this doesn't work it'll be a Dremel job'. £16.75 (sorry, can't remember the make, the wife threw the packet out). With a 24" bar, it got the bugger off like a dream. Well worth every penny.

So what I seem to get from this thread is:

- filter cartridges can come loose in use and lose oil pressure, so don't just hand tighten as instructed - whack 'em on tight.

- don't use the round cover to get at the cartridge, you won't get enough purchase through the hole, so pull off the sump plate each time, and you can save the cost of an O ring.

- use the three legged wotsit to undo the filter, cos that's what it'll take, then put it back in the 'single function and other weird tools' box for the next time.

Andy H

I just put the big hose clamp on mine (after all these years). I remove the pan and use a big (BIG) set of channel locks to remove the oil filter...I've not had one refuse. :luigi: k

I just put the big hose clamp on mine (after all these years). I remove the pan and use a big (BIG) set of channel locks to remove the oil filter...I've not had one refuse. :luigi: k

I agree, hand tight with a hose clamp for security and they will also come off by hand, if a bit stiff you can pry them off with a screwdriver levered against the post.

Had to google channel locks. What we in Blighty call mole grips I guess or near nuff. As a committed tool fetishist, the three legged wotsit keeps me happy. :whistle:

Had to google channel locks. What we in Blighty call mole grips I guess or near nuff. As a committed tool fetishist, the three legged wotsit keeps me happy. :whistle:

Yea, Channel Lock is a brand name they also get called Water Pump Pliers, slip joint pliers and probably lot's of other profanities, Mole Grips I remember from down under.

Yea, Channel Lock is a brand name they also get called Water Pump Pliers, slip joint pliers and probably lot's of other profanities, Mole Grips I remember from down under.

Multi grips

I tell my grandson..."the big ones, with the yellow handles". :lol:

"Water pump pliers"...that's what my Dad called them. I haven't heard that in a while. Thanks for that...I'll call them that from now on. Cheers. k