Fuel Tank Sealant

Dr Gil

After having the paint separate from my fuel tank on my V11 LeMans's plastic fuel tank and replacing it with another used (but not yet gas soaked) tank, I am hoping to use a sealant/liner product in the replacement to avoid future problems.

Does anyone have any experience with this process? I have checked into the "Kreem" website and it is recommended for use in used/older tanks but am wondering about the "plastic-ness" of the Guzzi tank and its chemical compatibility with this product. Are there better products for our tank's chemistry? Is there anything specifically available? Does Kreem work for us?

As always, all thinking is welcomed.

After having the paint separate from my fuel tank on my V11 LeMans's plastic fuel tank and replacing it with another used (but not yet gas soaked) tank, I am hoping to use a sealant/liner product in the replacement to avoid future problems.

Does anyone have any experience with this process? I have checked into the "Kreem" website and it is recommended for use in used/older tanks but am wondering about the "plastic-ness" of the Guzzi tank and its chemical compatibility with this product. Are there better products for our tank's chemistry? Is there anything specifically available? Does Kreem work for us?

Kreem is not a good idea, the expansion rate of these tanks would split it in no time. Tank liners are used to combat oxidization of the material of the tank, steel or aluminium being target market. As a compound these tanks won't benefit from lining but are able to handle fuel in their bare state. Unfortunately the 02 year appears to be an example of the reality of the lack of quality control in the factory ergo your paint separation. A properly prepared tank will hang onto its paint, simply replacing it with another is no guarentee as to the quality as many peeling and swollen tanks will attest. Cheers

Maybe this will work ?

I have applied the Caswell sealant to the wifes V11 tank over this winter. The tank is still empty, it remains to be seen if it works or not but I expect it will.

I also used the Caswell epoxy to seal my Daytona's spine frame, as it was weeping oil from the breather. That was why I had the Caswell sealer and figured while I was at it I might as well do the wife's bike (since so many people say they are having issues).

Kreem is not a good idea, the expansion rate of these tanks would split it in no time. Tank liners are used to combat oxidization of the material of the tank, steel or aluminium being target market. As a compound these tanks won't benefit from lining but are able to handle fuel in their bare state. Unfortunately the 02 year appears to be an example of the reality of the lack of quality control in the factory ergo your paint separation. A properly prepared tank will hang onto its paint, simply replacing it with another is no guarentee as to the quality as many peeling and swollen tanks will attest. Cheers

Not sure what you are getting at but it sounds like you are saying Kreem does not work with composite tanks.

I can only add that we used to use Kreem to seal carbon fiber composite tanks with no issues, that was with really nasty race fuel as well. I prefer the Caswell epoxy sealer to Kreem but that does not mean I think Kreem would not work, only that I like the idea of an epoxy sealant better.

Not sure what you are getting at but it sounds like you are saying Kreem does not work with composite tanks.

I can only add that we used to use Kreem to seal carbon fiber composite tanks with no issues, that was with really nasty race fuel as well. I prefer the Caswell epoxy sealer to Kreem but that does not mean I think Kreem would not work, only that I like the idea of an epoxy sealant better.

Yes Guzzimoto, I feel Kreem may harden too much for the elasticity of these tanks, whereas carbon fibre wouldnt allow as much expansion due to its strength/rigidity. I have also noticed that Kreem cracks and shrinks with age. More modern materials are out there so perhaps they can remain pliable enough to accommodate the "swell" factor.

Well, if that is your approach (it is not mine) then the Caswell stuff could be worse because it seems harder and more rigid then Kreem.

My personal approach is that the plastic tank will expand and contract less then a metal tank with temperature changes, not more. If your plastic tank IS swelling I would venture it could be because it is reacting with additives in the gasoline and not because it is normal. Either way, the Caswell stuff is a hard epoxy that may or my not have the same expanding and contracting rates as the plastic tank. I will let you know how it works or me when spring gets here.

And in my experience Carbon fiber is a lot more like other composites then you might think. Remember, the carbon cloth is only one aspect of it, the resin has a large effect on how it behaves.