Can my rev limiter be adjusted

Orange Guzzi

96 carb sport.

Quite surprised there is so few choices on such a bike. May try to fit a ignition from another bike that is 90 degree v twin. the vaccum advance is the real problem. few choices outside of the stock setup. On wildguzzi there are several discussions on the digiplex. no one discussed the rev limiter side. just various timing curves of various bikes. even that is some what vague. only a couple of charts with resistance values.

I subscribe to cycleworld mag and I thing this would be a good question for their expert.

96 carb sport.

Quite surprised there is so few choices on such a bike. May try to fit a ignition from another bike that is 90 degree v twin. the vaccum advance is the real problem. few choices outside of the stock setup. On wildguzzi there are several discussions on the digiplex. no one discussed the rev limiter side. just various timing curves of various bikes. even that is some what vague. only a couple of charts with resistance values.

I subscribe to cycleworld mag and I thing this would be a good question for their expert.

Cliff does/was doing an ignition module for non EFI bikes called "Rec-Ignition Module",it took a bit of finding but it is mentioned on his site under Latest Developments (18th June 2005).

• 2 weeks later...

The original question was is there something that would soften the hit of the rev limiter. That is not the same as moving it. While I prefer to NOT hit the rev limiter, I do understand why you might want to do that. A hard rev limiter as most bikes have is abrupt and not kind on the engine. A soft rev limiter cuts power gradually and is easier on the engine and the rider.

As mentioned before, Cliff might have something that could work for that. First thing I would do would be to contact him, not some idiot answering questions sent in to a magazine.

The original question was is there something that would soften the hit of the rev limiter. That is not the same as moving it. While I prefer to NOT hit the rev limiter, I do understand why you might want to do that. A hard rev limiter as most bikes have is abrupt and not kind on the engine. A soft rev limiter cuts power gradually and is easier on the engine and the rider.

Hard limiters typically cut ignition, soft typically cut fuel [to one or more cylinders] or retard the timing.

Hard to cut fuel on a carbed Sport, a programmable ignition would give the user the option to adjust the timing on an rpm basis. Don't know if the carb Sport EI black box is in any way programmable... :nerd:

I doubt it is but I would think the unit from Cliff is programmable. You might be able to tell it to retard the ignition smoothly instead of cutting it abruptly.

• 8 months later...