fuel pump problem?

dave

I need some sage wisdom regarding my fuel pump. It has started making the priming sound all the time (louder sometimes than others). It is newish and was running great for the last 6 months. It makes this sound even with the fuel cap open and the bike never sputters or stalls. It hasn't been run out of fuel, no kinks in the lines (that can be seen). Any thoughts???

Thanks!

I have heard if the electric petcock has failed it puts a lot more strain on the pump, perhaps you have an intermittent open circuit there, assuming you still have one of course :helmet:

I wish I had a manual petcock. Is there a unit that swaps easily to eliminate this as a possible cause? If not, any thoughts on a test on the electric one? As you are aware, electrics are not my forterolleyes.gif.

It makes no difference whether the el. petcock works or not. You wouldn't notice any difference. If your pump sounds strange get another one in reserve asap. No pump no bike, so to say.

hubert

I need some sage wisdom regarding my fuel pump. It has started making the priming sound all the time (louder sometimes than others). It is newish and was running great for the last 6 months. It makes this sound even with the fuel cap open and the bike never sputters or stalls. It hasn't been run out of fuel, no kinks in the lines (that can be seen). Any thoughts???

Thanks!

When was the fuel filter changed? That would be my first job as it sounds like the pump is having to work overtime.

The new fuel filter is sitting next to my keyboard laughing at me. The old one has about 9k on it. The spare pump on hand method was my 1st thought, but I am trying to be better about tossing money at my motorcycle project problems before understanding the problem. It stopped making the noise this morning (for now), but I might gather my change together all the samewhistle.gif. This is my 1st Guzzi but I am quickly amassing a spare parts collection... a good start on a second Guzzidrink.gif

When I install the filter and Manual petcock i will run an internal line from the pressure inlet valve directly to the outlet side of the tank to address to issue from another thread regarding the "hump".

• 1 month later...

When I install the filter and Manual petcock i will run an internal line from the pressure inlet valve directly to the outlet side of the tank to address to issue from another thread regarding the "hump".

I took a look at doing that, it's a great idea, there must be a couple of useless liters over the hump.

If you tilt the bike over to get it to the left side the pump will throw it straight back then start sucking air again.

How will you install the line and hold it in place?