Rear Ride Height on Sport 1100i Adjustable?

993twin

Hey All,

Just pulled my red 1100i Sport out of hibernation and realized that I hadn't corrected the rear ride height defect that has bugged me the last year or two. In short, I've noticed that nearly every 1100 Sport I've seen seems to ride low in the back. This is definitely the case with mine. It's not a matter of the spring sagging, or not enough spring preload...it just seems that the eye-to-eye distance is too short. I seem to recall the that ride height on the stock WP (mine's a 1997) is fixed...there's no adjuster. Is this correct?

Has anyone else noticed this, or think it's a problem? If so...what's the fix?

Rather than buy an Ohlins shock with adjustable ride height built in, does anyone make a clevis adapter (or the like) to allow another 25mm or so of eye-to-eye length?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bill

Yes they definitely ride low at the back, causing them to understeer a little and ground clearance isnt great either so its pretty easy to grind your pegs if you are giving her some stick.

The WP shock is excellent and it seems like an expensive waste to buy a whole new shock so your thoughts of modifying the ride height yourself is probably a good way to go. My Daytona RS has the same shock and frame, has been modified so the shock is mounted to a different part of the frame giving her significantly more ride height.

She is away having her new engine built at the moment otherwise I would take some pics.

Eye to eye of the WP shock is 280-281 mm.

The bearings in the swingarm can, after all the years, get stuck. They won't allow to extend the shock completely. If you disconnect the shock from the swingarm you should be able to move the swingarm easily up and down. If the swingarm stays in any position that you put it in, change those (rather expensive) bearings.

After all those troubles I went for an expensive change. Special ordered a 290mm Ohlins. And yes, it makes a (almost huge) difference.

Hey guys - thanks for the info...especially the eye-to-eye length of the stock WP. It does seem like a waste to change the shock out just to get some ride height, however at the end of the day that's what I suspect I might end up doing. That being said, it's certainly worth a look at the swing arm bearings as described!

Thanks again for the info and the confirmation of my own conclusion.

B-