Clutch...shift springs....throw out bearing

andy york

OK friends and neighbors....

Rode down to Atlanta on Tuesday. What a great day....rolled over 90,000 miles on the way home !!

Almost home ...getting off the freeway...downshifting ...get a little engine braking going so I can hear

that v-twin.....whooaaa ...freewheeling ..nother downshift ....freewheeling.

At the bottom of the ramp I stop ...workin the clutch...feels fine ..plenty of fluid.

All of the downshifts felt positive as normal.

I have adjustable levers and have my clutch so that about half lever travel things are good.

So clutch in I select 1st gear...feels like nothing there...then at the last 1/4 inch of travel it engages

completely. WTF...all the up shifts felt and worked fine.

Travel a mile so to a stop sign.two down shifts felt fine then the clutch was gone.

Open to suggestions but will probably start pulling the motor .

Might pull side cover on tranny first. If it was push rod seals I would see a loss of fluid so I

don't think that's the problem.

So...as batman says...riddle me this robin. What is it ?

Rode down to Atlanta on Tuesday. What a great day....rolled over 90,000 miles on the way home !!

Almost home ...getting off the freeway...downshifting ...get a little engine braking going so I can hear

At the bottom of the ramp I stop ...workin the clutch...feels fine ..plenty of fluid.

I have adjustable levers and have my clutch so that about half lever travel things are good.

So clutch in I select 1st gear...feels like nothing there...then at the last 1/4 inch of travel it engages

Travel a mile so to a stop sign.two down shifts felt fine then the clutch was gone.

Might pull side cover on tranny first. If it was push rod seals I would see a loss of fluid so I

A Moto Guzzi ?

A Moto Guzzi ?

I apologise. Friday and all that.

OK my fault....

Yes it is a moto guzzi.

2002 v11 lemans.

A Moto Guzzi ?

I apologise. Friday and all that.

I'd just bleed the clutch first- sounds like you don't have any hydraulics. It might be air in the line, or it might be that the clutch master or slave isn't functioning properly.

If the plates disintegrated, you would definitely know- lots of vibration and the clutch gets snatchy before it finally goes.

Also, I've never had a clutch just disappear like that. They've always given me lots of warning. Loss of pressure in the hydraulic action sounds most likely to me.

However, if your throwout bearing seized up, then you might have been grinding your clutch rod down? If that were the case, I think you would feel it again, because the clutch disengagement point would have moved on the lever pull.

Good luck!

I'm a bit confused about the symptoms - are you saying that it feels as though the bike is in neutral? If so, it's not the hydraulics, and I'd suspect the gearbox rather than the clutch

Let try to be less confusing.....

Clutch lever feels good...I can feel the engage disengage point as normal.

The gear shift also feels as if it is doing its job....i think I feel each distinct gear change

Up shifts are fine ...down shifts are fine ....except when coming to a stop...

Then something changes somewhere that causes the clutch lever to not disengage until the

lever is 1/4" from being fully out

The effect is like popping the clutch.

Pulling away from a stop as you give it gas and try release the clutch...the motor is revving up cause nothing is happening

and then all of a sudden bang. The screwy thing is its not constant ...sometimes it works right

and sometimes it does not. And it usually doesn't when your at a light with fourteen cars

behind you

anyway ...I will dive into it Sunday

Ah, I was reading it as if he pulled the clutch in but it didn't work- i.e. the clutch was always engaged.

I was looking for that kinda response ....it just solidified my gut feeling.

With 90,000 miles I can't complain to much ...would have liked to have

made it to 100,000 but so be it. Reckon I'll go get started on it

quote name='thumper' date='25 March 2012 - 04:26 PM' timestamp='1332685592' post='184885']

Mine did the same thing, it was the friction plates they came apart at the rivets.

A lot of info on replacing the clutch on this forum.

Yeah, it's sounding like friction plates now. That's what my Eldo did when the rivets came apart. Mine had the added enjoyment of a few random slip then engage episodes, so it felt like it was stuttering (and hammering the transmission). And I was 500 or so miles from home.

Bleed the clutch....clutch plates are ok ...still have almost 4mm of friction material left...

Intermediate plate ok ....motor side good

By chance reached up and grabbed the input shaft....WTF...ring nut had loosened up on the

Splined hub.

Crisis averted...back together with it and ride I hope