To plug or not to plug?

rex007can

I wouldn't risk it unless you paln on riding at the speed limit everywhere. I've had it done in a car tyre before but rubber is life and death on a bike.

Pete

There are way too many factors (tire condition, miles, riding style,etc.)to tell you what you need to do........ Each is an individual case that only you can decide what is best for you .

I got a screw in my near new rear and have a plug.

I find it hard to belive someone would toss out a new tire in spite of what they say.

Screw is way on the edge, in clean.

Tires have about 5000 miles on.

I am not remotely close to an "extreme" rider...

Not worth the risk. Ever had a tyre deflate in less than a second ? I have at just 40mph and it had me off. Bike was a write-off and so was my ankle. 5,000 miles ? structure of the tyre compromised ? bin it and be safe. I would only ever plug a car tyre.

I'm getting conflicting info from different sources on the tire size.

For a 2001 V11 sport.

Is it 170/60-R17

Or

180/55-R17

?

The obvious answer is just look at it.

I would but the bike is home, and I want to make some calls before I take it to a shop to hopefully get it fixed this afternoon.

Where I live there are 2 types of tubeless plugs.

1: the ones you push in from the outside of the tyre , these are a temporary fix although they can last a long time but can also come out suddenly.

2: The mushroom shaped plugs are to be fitted from inside the tyre, being this shape they form a patch on the inside plus act as a plug in the hole thus being impossible for it to push out through the tyre and could only pop into the tyre if the glue don't work or there's no air pressure.

The second type is a legal requirement around here.

ps my 01 v11 comes with a 170/60/17 on th rear (4.5 rim)

I'm getting conflicting info from different sources on the tire size.

For a 2001 V11 sport.

Is it 170/60-R17

Or

180/55-R17

?

The reason you're getting conflicting info is that the stock tire size is 180/55 but the improved (quicker) handling option is the 170/60 profile. On the early model V11s, the stock size was 170/60 & the improved option was 160/60 [they came with a narrower rim than the later models.] Given that your 2k1 could be on the cusp of that change to the rim, 170/60ZR17 is the size you want for guaranteed fitment. :nerd:

BTW, the standard answer for plugging moto tires is that if the puncture is in the center 1/3 of the tire, plug & reduce speed rating by one grade [ie, Z->V, or V->H.] If the puncture is in the outer 1/3, better to replace: only try to plug it in order to get yourself to someplace where you can obtain a replacement.

The "gummy worm" plugs work fine & are much less bother to install than the other kinds available, just make sure to follow the directions. :luigi:

Given your description, it seems that you're up for replacement. I believe Avon are the only moto tire manf. that offers a "puncture insurance" warranty on their new tires [only good for new, very low-mileage tires, but then, why is it that we only pick up nails in the first few 100 miles after replacing a tire? :huh2:]

..., but then, why is it that we only pick up nails in the first few 100 miles after replacing a tire? :huh2:]

conspiracy theory no 1: magnetic releasing compound. Once you've worn the slippery stuff off you're in the clear.

Conspiracy theory no 2: a small percentage of tyres come with a screw pre-fitted to boost revenue

Conspiracy theory no 3: the fitters bash one in when youre not looking

Cons.... Forget it...

Sods Law is all...

..., but then, why is it that we only pick up nails in the first few 100 miles after replacing a tire? :huh2:]

conspiracy theory no 1: magnetic releasing compound. Once you've worn the slippery stuff off you're in the clear.

Conspiracy theory no 2: a small percentage of tyres come with a screw pre-fitted to boost revenue

Conspiracy theory no 3: the fitters bash one in when youre not looking

Cons.... Forget it...

Sods Law is all...

I would add a number 4

Shop pays someone to spread screws and nails around all street corners surrounding the shop.

:whistle:

Dropped it at the shop to get a new Metzler V8