Trip reset knob

mar

My trip rerset know has broken off. I have a new one comming.

However, the new one will have the threaded screw on it and the odometer still has the old one in it. Is there a way to get the old threaed screw out without taking off the odometer and taking it apart?

Thanks, Myke

Did the actual screw break the head off, or has the plastic knob broke, leaving the intact screw stuck in place?

Just the plastic . I need to get the screw out or the screw off the new one.

Thanks.

It seems the brass piece is visible. However, it is inside the speedo case and I really don't have a way to get a grip of it to screw it off. I am tempted to take apart the speedo, however, I suspect that is not going to be a simple as I think it should be. I don't want to brake any seals.

Actually, it would probably be a good idea to open up your speedo and grease the gears. You have the ITI, which are notorious for being assembled with very little lube on plastic gears which you will not be able to replace once they strip. I've heard alot of people swear by a great gage repair shop in Palo Alto Ca, and they will not work on the ITI's because parts can't be found. My speedo just crapped out at 25,000 miles and I haven't found a replacement yet, and don't want to buy another from MG just yet. I'm considering going digital instead. There is a thread here on how to do the service on these, including where to cut your housing, etc., I just can't find it right now :homer:

As it turns out, the new piece, and perhaps the old one also, has the brass threads connected with a small philips screw deep at the base of the knob. I removed this screw and removed the brass threads. Then it was a simple, matter of placing the plastic knob on the existing brass threads and screwing the small screw back in place.

Good thing it was simple.

Thanks,

My speedo just crapped out at 25,000 miles and I haven't found a replacement yet, and don't want to buy another from MG just yet. I'm considering going digital instead. There is a thread here on how to do the service on these, including where to cut your housing, etc., I just can't find it right now :homer:

My odometer and trip meter did too but at 20k and I broke my trip meter knob. I just installed a $20 Sigma bicycle computer. They're calibrated up to 200mph. You get your current speed, average speed, max speed, trip distance/time, total odometer and clock. Works perfect, inexpensive and simple to install.

OdoChallenge.jpg

My odometer and trip meter did too but at 20k and I broke my trip meter knob. I just installed a $20 Sigma bicycle computer. They're calibrated up to 200mph. You get your current speed, average speed, max speed, trip distance/time, total odometer and clock. Works perfect, inexpensive and simple to install.

Can you tell me how / where you installed the pickup/sending unit? My Cafe Sport's odo & trip meter crapped out at around the same mileage.

TIA,

-Mike

Can you tell me how / where you installed the pickup/sending unit? My Cafe Sport's odo & trip meter crapped out at around the same mileage.

TIA,

-Mike

I used this site as a guide: Sigma Bicycle Computer - Canyon Chasers

I'll take some photos and post them for you.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing the photos, too.

The arrow points to where I zip tied the sensor. There are a couple different ways that you can lead the sensor wire down to the wheel. I zip tied it to other wires at the top near the triple tree, the fender bracket and fork. The circle is around the four rare earth magnets that I used. I only super-glued the first one. The rare earth magnets are very strong and won't move. I needed four because the magnets have to be at least 5mm away from the sensor. A mod so easy, even I could do it :D

DSCN9776.jpg

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing the photos, too.

The arrow points to where I zip tied the sensor. There are a couple different ways that you can lead the sensor wire down to the wheel. I zip tied it to other wires at the top near the triple tree, the fender bracket and fork. The circle is around the four rare earth magnets that I used. I only super-glued the first one. The rare earth magnets are very strong and won't move. I needed four because the magnets have to be at least 5mm away from the sensor. A mod so easy, even I could do it :D

That gives me hope!! Thanks again.