Starting woes...

rex007can

I have a 2001 V11 sport.

It would appear that my starter is intermittent.

It used to happen rarely, but this week, it's getting very annoying.

I put the key in and turn.

Then I press the emergency cutoff switch (I always stop the engine with the emergency switch)

I hear the fuel pump prime, the headlight and instruments turn on.

I pull the clutch, press the start button... and nothing...

I've swapped the relays, made sure the battery connection is tight. No change.

But the thing is, it's intermittent!

Sometimes, it starts right up.

Sometimes, it's dead, then I'll turn the key a couple times, and the starter will turn on the second or third try.

Yesterday it must have taken 10 minutes and trying again and again...till it finally came to life.

This morning... started right up.

I don't even know where to start, but I'm scared that that one time when I'm 400 miles from home, out in the middle of nowhere... it just won't start no matter what.

Rex

Did you look at the bullet connectors under the tank?

Move the bars left to right a few times then try it?

Michael

I have a 2001 V11 sport.

It would appear that my starter is intermittent.

It used to happen rarely, but this week, it's getting very annoying.

I put the key in and turn.

Then I press the emergency cut off switch (I always stop the engine with the emergency switch)

I hear the fuel pump prime, the headlight and instruments turn on.

I pull the clutch, press the start button... and nothing...

I've swapped the relays, made sure the battery connection is tight. No change.

But the thing is, it's intermittent!

Sometimes, it starts right up.

Sometimes, it's dead, then I'll turn the key a couple times, and the starter will turn on the second or third try.

Yesterday it must have taken 10 minutes and trying again and again...till it finally came to life.

This morning... started right up.

I don't even know where to start, but I'm scared that that one time when I'm 400 miles from home, out in the middle of nowhere... it just won't start no matter what.

It's probably the solenoid,but could be the clutch switch.

Mine also has done this but not as bad,usually starting on the 3rd or 4th attempt (I used to hold the starter button in and work the clutch until it started) recently I added another relay to feed the solenoid direct from the battery (to take the load off the alarms immobiliser relay) and it's worked every time so far !!

The loose connector under the tank seems to be a common problem, mine did it for a while but it came right before I got motivated to fix it.

Depending on the way the bike is wired, some bikes power the start relay through the ignition switch, that's a problem waiting to happen, the starter solenoid wants to draw about 50 Amps for a split second while it engages the gear, any resistance in the circuit and it has dificulty.

To tell if it's wired through the switch pull the relay and measure for voltage at the socket pin 30 (the one off by itself) with the ignition switch Off.

The best wiring IMHO is where the 30 contact is wired direct thru a fuse from the battery.

Note: The starter draws 50 Amps through a 15 Amp fuse but not long enough to blow it.

With age the grease in the switch goes hard and it tends to take pressure off the contacts so they don't make a good contact, your bike is at an age where the switch should be cleaned and the grease replaced with fresh petroleum jelly aka Vaseline.

The same applies to the other handlebar switches, you will be surprised how much easier they operate with fresh vaseline.

Don't use any solvents in the switches, some contact cleaners are dynamite on plastic parts.