Rosso Mandello refurbishing

motowarren

I recently got a Rosso Mandello with 45k miles on it and it looks like it. so it's going to need some refurbishing particularly around the back half. Questions I have are;

Is there a color reference for Dupont or other manufacturer of paint in the US for the tank and for the greay tail section?

Are the Rosso Mandello decals on the tail section still available?

Are the valve covers supposed to match the tank? If not is there a paint code or number available for them also?

I guess that's enough to keep me busy for about a week ;)

I recently got a Rosso Mandello with 45k miles on it and it looks like it. so it's going to need some refurbishing particularly around the back half. Questions I have are;

Is there a color reference for Dupont or other manufacturer of paint in the US for the tank and for the greay tail section?

Are the valve covers supposed to match the tank? If not is there a paint code or number available for them also?

The paint codes are available, some searching on the site should yield results. Whether or not the codes can be used to translate into an available US color is the question, but one step at a time I suppose. There are also on this site files with the tail decals which I understand should be able to be printed by a decal shop, though I haven't done this (yet). Good luck with it! Another thought: The guy that did the bags, fairing and front fender on my R90/6 said he could match the original paint's current shade, noting that with fade over the years having him match the bags and fairing to the color on the existing bodywork would look better than mixing by the code of the original paint. He was right, as the work he did matched the original BMW paint perfectly. Might be worth looking into anyway.

• 2 months later...

Hi - Did you ever find the paint for the grey tail sections? I also have a Rosso Mandello and due to transport damage will be painting the tank and tail. I secured the red/orange color including the silver basecoat from RS Bike Paint in Great Britain (looks to be very close) but I have yet to find the grey. Also, the RM decals are still available in short supply from a few European sellers. They are not cheap. Best wishes, Mike

Hi - Did you ever find the paint for the grey tail sections? I also have a Rosso Mandello and due to transport damage will be painting the tank and tail. I secured the red/orange color including the silver basecoat from RS Bike Paint in Great Britain (looks to be very close) but I have yet to find the grey. Also, the RM decals are still available in short supply from a few European sellers. They are not cheap. Best wishes, Mike

I haven't gotten around to paint yet. Maybe next year

• 2 weeks later...

Was the paint codes ever found then?

The tank is a pearl red and Ive never seen it elsewhere..

The pork chops and tappet covers are a dusty red colour which mimics an anodised finish

The tail section and sidepanels are a light grey paint

The engine and transmission is a crackle black finish,Harley do an aerosol which is very similar finish.

My bike is pretty good still but the pork chops paint is worn and the grey tailpiece has a few scuffs too now..as do the sidepanels from my leathers.

The tank is pretty good but I certain its faded a little..

Was the paint codes ever found then?

The tank is a pearl red and Ive never seen it elsewhere..

The pork chops and tappet covers are a dusty red colour which mimics an anodised finish

The tail section and sidepanels are a light grey paint

The engine and transmission is a crackle black finish,Harley do an aerosol which is very similar finish.

My bike is pretty good still but the pork chops paint is worn and the grey tailpiece has a few scuffs too now..as do the sidepanels from my leathers.

The tank is pretty good but I certain its faded a little..

that tank color is ... GOOD FN LUCK is all I got to say it's like a green metallic base with candy red over it, something like that so that it almost appears orangish in the sun, I don't know how they did it but matching that rosso tank is tough I noticed on the one I had the underside had some green metallic overspray maybe they just took the green tanks they already had from the V11's and figured out which paint overspray them that fancy red.