trip meter won't zero out

stefano

about a year ago i was zeroing out the tripometer after fuel stop & it just spun freely, wouldn't zero out. pulled away from pump & spun the knob a few times and it finally *caught* & zeroed out, been working fine ever since.

yesterday (4,000 miles later) after fuel stop, again just spun free, no amount of spinning knob would zero it out.

today, just for the hell of it spun the knob about 15 or 20 times, it *caught*, zeroed out & seems to be working fine again, WTF? the shaft is turning, & i'm turning it in the proper direction.

have had no other problems with the gauges, everything fine xcept trip meter not zeroing out.

is this a common problem?

2002 le Mans, 19,000 miles, white faced gauges.

stef

about a year ago i was zeroing out the tripometer after fuel stop & it just spun freely, wouldn't zero out. pulled away from pump & spun the knob a few times and it finally *caught* & zeroed out, been working fine ever since.

yesterday (4,000 miles later) after fuel stop, again just spun free, no amount of spinning knob would zero it out.

today, just for the hell of it spun the knob about 15 or 20 times, it *caught*, zeroed out & seems to be working fine again, WTF? the shaft is turning, & i'm turning it in the proper direction.

have had no other problems with the gauges, everything fine xcept trip meter not zeroing out.

is this a common problem?

2002 le Mans, 19,000 miles, white faced gauges.

stef

update, think i figured this one out. seems turning the knob the opposite direction it will unscrew?, then i must turn knob same # of turns until it will start to start to zero out? and it is the shaft that's unscrewing, not the knob.

seems like this is what has happened.

did it unscrew it self while riding from vibration?

can the knob & shaft unscrew & fall off while riding?

anyway it works again, if your trip meter ever won't zero out, try turning the knob until it will, it works for me.

cheers, stef

Don't loose it, they are expensive little suckers :rolleyes:

yeah, perhaps i should put a hose clamp around the knob shaft to keep it from unscrewing (like i do on my oil filter) :^)

cheers, s

yeah, perhaps i should put a hose clamp around the knob shaft to keep it from unscrewing (like i do on my oil filter) :^)

cheers, s

drop o' loctite??