Metzeler Z6

Gio

A while back I wore out my rear Pirelli on a road trip and replaced with a Mezeler Z8 roadtec ... so far so good. But was unable to source a matching Z8 front (on long back-order) when the time came so went with a Z6 based on reviews I had read here and elsewhere - dealer assured me it should work well with the Z8 rear.

Having put a few hundred km on the new front - the most noticeable thing is that it howls quite lodly when in a turn (both directions). No howl in a straight line or when braking. Pressure is the same as I usually ran with the Pirellis (ie 32/33 psi) and no other change to set-up. I'm also not sure that grip level is as good as the Pirelli but this could be that the tire is still quite new ..?

Anyone else experience this?

Gio

Last time I ran Z6s was about 4 or 5 years ago - never again. Truely aweful things that let go with absolutely no warning or feedback. Still got the limp to prove it. Squared off pretty quickly too from what I can remember. Hopefully the Z8 is better. ST type tyres have moved on a lot now and tyres like the roadsmarts/pilot road 2/3s give more grip and better wear. That said, I'm not too keen on the pilot road 2s either. Very bad on overbanding and damp roads. Good in dry and very wet, though.

When I was using the Z6 the front howled after a while for me too. I liked the tires except for the howl, which didn't really bother me, and the lack of center tread to judge how many miles were left in the tire, which did bother me.

I've had 2 sets of Z6's. One came on the new Norge, the other came on the Mighty Scura. Don't like em. I much prefer Pirellis. :huh2:

Interesting feedback. To answer Trevini - the Z8 (rear) feels just like the Pirelli (Strada) that I liked -honestly can't feel any difference there but the Z8 is a tri-compound construction so am hoping this will help with centre wear.

And your comment Tom implies that the Z6 didn't howl when new ??

Never liked Metzelers in 20+ years of knowing them on all sorts of bikes and had several nasty surprises in the past: the worst when the front let go in braking straight and level in the dry on a good road surface.

My wife doesn't like them either (OEM on her Triumph): says the handling just 'goes off a cliff' (she's an F1 addict, BBC watchers) when they wear down (esp. on overbanding and white lines) and went back to Bridgestones front and back this month. I found them skittish in the damp too, both latter points concurring with Trevini.

Bridgestones work OK for me on the V11 as currently fitted but will cut over to Pirellis if both front and back wear out at the roughly same time as I've generally preferred them on other makes of bike.

To be fair Metzelers may work for something out there but I've just not found it.

Andy

When I first got my V11, it had a Diablo Strada rear and a Diablo Sport front. Front was very planted, but it was a softer compound for sure. Both wore at the same rate. To be fair not too bad, but knowing that Pirelli and Metzler are one and the same, never really trusted them after my previous experience with the Metzlers (big highside in dry, good conditions - and no, I wasn't being heavy handed with the throttle).

I have Conti Road Attacks at the moment. They don't last long, but the bike feels so much better. I have Michelin PR2s on my TDM and really don't like them compared to the feel of the Contis (I ran them on the TDM previously and loved them).

It's probably my riding "style", but I struggle to heat a decent amount of heat in the front tyre on any bike, which leads to a cycle of no heat=less grip=less confidence=less heat=even less grip=even less confidence. I'm not shy with the bike at all (knee down in the wet), just gentle on the front so it seems!

... I struggle to heat a decent amount of heat in the front tyre on any bike, which leads to a cycle of no heat=less grip=less confidence=less heat=even less grip=even less confidence. I'm not shy with the bike at all (knee down in the wet), just gentle on the front so it seems!

I'm pretty gentle on the front tyre too. I find I'm not using the front brake so much on this bike: certainly less so than on the Monster I had. It's not as though front braking throws it out of shape that much so that's not stopping heavy front brake usage. I just think because V11 engine braking does slow the bike down pretty well by itself perhaps it particularly encourages that riding style. If you're not on the front brake all the time like you might be with say a Jap four when mixing it with typical UK traffic, then maybe that doesn't get the heat in that front tyre so much.

Just a thought

Andy

You could be onto something there Andy. I've only ever had one inline 4 and didn't like it. Mechanical sympathy and all that, plus I was brought up on Brit Iron, hence big singles and twins. Anything over 8k revs just doesn't feel right to me. I try to be a smooth rider generally and tend to use the torque more than the power and also engine braking with fine throttle control ....if only I could put it into practice :-)

• 3 weeks later...

And your comment Tom implies that the Z6 didn't howl when new ??

Correct. As I remember it they were OK when new but started howling after I had some miles on them.

Just by way of an update, I have put a few km on the front Z6 now and whilst it still howls (maybe less than when new - not sure?) the handling and grip seems to be ok for my riding habits - certainly not compromised vs the Pirelli which was my initial concern ... but perhaps I'm not pushing it enough to tell.

• 7 months later...

Further update - weather was good enough to take a first ride of the year today (+4c and dry roads) but after checking the bike over - rear Z8 is toast ... badly squared off / worn in the centre after ~7,000 km so will need to replace with something to work with the howling Z6 out front ... no more Metzeler for me!

I'm going back to Pirelli for sure - and since they no longer make Diablo Strada (loved those tires) decision seems to be Angel or Angel ST ... any advice?

Gio

I'm going back to Pirelli for sure - and since they no longer make Diablo Strada (loved those tires) decision seems to be Angel or Angel ST ... any advice?

Gio

Hi Gio,

:2c: I really liked a set of Conti Road Attacks that I had a while back except that they wore out too quickly. I see that they're advertising a high mileage version of that tire now so I might give them a try the next time I change tires.

I liked the Angel ST but I was a little disappointed with their mileage too.

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Road III and I have no absolutely complaints other than cost. They corner well and so far they seem to be wearing very well.

Is this what you mean by an angel st! http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/sheet/angel_st.html

If so, I'm not excited by it on my lemans. With about 3000 km on it the tyre is starting to contribute to a slight headshake when accelerating with the pegs just about touching. It seems more v shaped than a diablo corser and this v has been exacerbated as it wears. Admittedly almost all of those k's have been on tight corners and my bike could do with stiffer fork springs, but I'm all ears for a better choice.