RPM Gauge never at Zero

banditV11

Hi All - just got my first ever Guzzi, it's a 2001 V11 Sport and I'm really enjoying learning about these bikes.

I've noticed that my RPM gauge never shows ZERO (i.e. when the motor is off). It just sits at about 500. I've confirmed the gauge is accurate (via PCIII and USB hookup to my laptop) when the bike is running. Just a little annoyance that my OCD can't get over... anybody else experience this or know how to fix?

I think they all do it, at least my V11 Scura and my California EV both do. OCD and Italian bike hmm you have a rocky road ahead.

I know... I'm quickly learning to "let go".... I'm falling in love with my new V11 - quirks and all

hello bandit. xlnt choice in the V11 sport.

given a bit of maintainance these bikes are quite reliable & great fun to ride.

but(from what i've read & experienced)the guages can be problematic & you'll have to make peace with that.

cheers & happy riding

hello bandit. xlnt choice in the V11 sport.

given a bit of maintainance these bikes are quite reliable & great fun to ride.

but(from what i've read & experienced)the guages can be problematic & you'll have to make peace with that.

cheers & happy riding

Yours sits at 500 rpm when the motor is off, mine sits at 8000! My previous one ranged from 500 (off) to 3000 when revving hard. See a pattern here?

I'm just one year ahead of you in Guzzi ownership and already feel like an old hand: speedo issues, tacho issues, charging issues, idiot light randomness when hot, peeling engine paint, seized fasteners, failed oil pressure switch, broken shock eye on Sachs shock (do check for that - it can be hard to spot!). But those mere foibles aside, I love it: best bike ever.

Heck, you don't need a tacho - the rev limiter tells you that you need to change up.

AndyH

The PCIII/laptop reads the crank sensor? And your tach is accurate both at idle and at "cruising" rpm?

I have been told before by dealership folks who have seen a few of these that the tach is often "off" by the amount you see at rest. (?)

The PCIII/laptop reads the crank sensor? And your tach is accurate both at idle and at "cruising" rpm?

I have been told before by dealership folks who have seen a few of these that the tach is often "off" by the amount you see at rest. (?)

So luckily I do have a PCIII (that was a nice surprise, the previous owner must've been obvious of it) and when connected to laptop the reading seems to align with the RPM gauge reading at idle and beyond. So while my gauge is showing 500 rpm with motor off, it is NOT "off" by 500 with the motor running.