u-joint spline clamps

v11brad

Took swing arm off for the first time with 19000 miles and found the universal joint spline clamps weren't pinching the spline connections at both the bevel box and transmission connections, allowing aprox. 1/4 inch of forward, back movement,and the pinch screws are tite.Is this normal?

I think they should be tight, at least mine seem to be.

When you put the shaft together make sure the hole in the universal lines up exactly with the indent in the shaft otherwise the bolts get chewed up.

Also make sure the two paint marks are in line to show the spline is in the correct spot.

I wasn't aware of the indented shaft that's what limited the movement to 1/4 inch with pinch screws installed,i'll further titen screws and watch for movement,thanks for the tip kiwi roy.

Take the bolts right out and inspect them, because of misalignment the sharp teeth on the shaft chewed the thread right off mine.

I was able to get replacements at the local non Guzzi dealer.

... allowing aprox. 1/4 inch of forward, back movement,and the pinch screws are tite.Is this normal?

More or less. They should be clamped I think, though in most cases (on most V11 I've seen) they aren't. Tightening the screws helps a bit, but not for a long time. If you search for spare bolts you should see to get 12.9 ones and tighten them with 42Nm (loctite won't hurt). Cutting the slots 5mm deeper also helps.

Hubert

... what does 12.9 refer to?

It stands for the bolt's strength resp. max. moment. Search Wikipedia, skip the "What is a bolt?" part and go down to "Head markings and properties for metric hex-head cap screws".

When you want to make the slots deeper, maybe you better start with 3mm or less.

Hubert